Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux boot problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux boot problem Post 30294 by BSeanD on Sunday 20th of October 2002 12:53:27 AM
Old 10-20-2002
Check your lilo.conf file. Sounds like you've got the loader on the second drive and not the first.
Any chance of you posting your lilo.conf so we can have a look?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Boot problem

we have a problem with a server UNIX SUN OS 5.7 : we tried to reboot it and we have the following error message : "boot load failed the file just loaded does not appear to be executable " we booted the server in single user mode with the cdrom we made the mirrored disk bootable we tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: farzolito
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Boot Problem

Hi All. Yesterday my pc worked fine. Today when booting the sequence gets just past mounting the root filesystem - it then says ' Module dependencies up to date (no new kernel modules found).' At this point it hangs and goes no further! Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot loader problem - can't load linux

Hi i have both Linux and Windows XP on my PC. i used to use grub as a boot loader and everything was perfect, until i reinstalled Windows. apparently, Windows installer installed its own bootloader, that doesn't recognize Linux. i tried using a tool called GrubInstaller for Windows, and now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shx2
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Boot problem

Hi everyone, I have sun fire280R machine before i it is installed with solaris5.9 now i want to upgrade it but it not booting from the cd rom ....OK prompt also not comming i dont have solaris keyboard to press stop-A key...i have a intel supported keyboard ...what may be the problem it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alakshmanrao
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux won't boot

I'm trying to install Fedora 9 on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 machine. The instalation runs properly, but when the computer restarts after the instalation, it simply won't boot, like there's no OS installed. I tried diffrent Linux distributions, but nothing works. This are the partitions, maybe it's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teis
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot problem

hello i have a sun server V890 and it stops booting after adding 2 CPUs modules and gives me the following error message: Enabling system bus....... Done Initializing CPUs......... Done Initializing boot memory.. RAM-Copy CRC failure!Can't start: No image found FATAL: Can't find/decompress... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bahjatm
0 Replies

9. Solaris

boot problem

hello i have a sun server V890 and it stops booting after adding 2 CPUs modules and gives me the following error message: Enabling system bus....... Done Initializing CPUs......... Done Initializing boot memory.. RAM-Copy CRC failure!Can't start: No image found FATAL: Can't find/decompress... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bahjatm
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Boot problem

Hi all, I have the the following SCSI diagnostic codes shown in the attached photo I suspect disk drive failure what can I do further to diagnose the disk. and if possible to boot into OS again. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
5 Replies
LILO(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   LILO(8)

NAME
lilo - install boot loader SYNOPSIS
Main function: /sbin/lilo - install boot loader Auxiliary uses: /sbin/lilo -q - query map /sbin/lilo -R - set default command line for next reboot /sbin/lilo -I - inquire path name of current kernel /sbin/lilo {-u|-U} - uninstall lilo DESCRIPTION
lilo installs a boot loader that will be activated next time you boot. It has lots of options. -v Increase verbosity. Giving one or more -v options will make lilo more verbose. -q List the currently mapped files. lilo maintains a file, by default /boot/map, containing the name and location of the kernel(s) to boot. This option will list the names therein. -m map-file Use specified map file instead of the default. -C config-file lilo reads its instructions about what files to map from its config file, by default /etc/lilo.conf. This option can be used to specify a non-default config file. -d delay If you have specified several kernels, and press Shift at boot-time, the boot loader will present you with a choice of which system to boot. After a timeout period the first kernel in the list is booted. This option specifies the timeout delay in deciseconds. -D label Use the kernel with the given label, instead of the first one in the list, as the default kernel to boot. -r root-directory Before doing anything else, do a chroot to the indicated directory. Used for repairing a setup from a boot floppy. -t Test only. Do not really write a new boot sector or map file. Use together with -v to find out what lilo is about to do. -c Enable map compaction. This will merge read requests from adjacent sectors. Speeds up the booting (especially from floppy). -f disk-tab Specify disk geometry parameter file. (The default is /etc/disktab.) -i boot-sector Specify a file to be used as the new boot sector. (The default is /boot/boot.b.) -l Generate linear sector addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses. -L Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of C:H:S addresses, allowing access to all partitions on disks greater than 8.4Gb. -P {fix|ignore} Fix (or ignore) `corrupt' partition tables, i.e., partition tables with linear and sector/head/cylinder addresses that do not corre- spond. -s save-file When lilo overwrites the boot sector, it preserves the old contents in a file, by default /boot/boot.NNNN where NNNN depends on the device. This option specifies an alternate save file for the boot sector. (Or, together with the -u option, specifies from where to restore the boot sector.) -S save-file Normally, lilo will not overwrite an existing save file. This options says that overwriting is allowed. -u device-name Uninstall lilo, by copying the saved boot sector back. A time-stamp is checked. -U device-name Idem, but do not check the time-stamp. -R command line This option sets the default command for the boot loader the next time it executes. The boot loader will then erase this line: this is a once-only command. It is typically used in reboot scripts, just before calling `shutdown -r'. -I label The label of the running kernel can be found in the environment variable BOOT_IMAGE after startup. This command will print the cor- responding path name on stdout. -V Print version number. The above command line options correspond to the key words in the config file indicated below. -b bootdev boot=bootdev -c compact -d dsec delay=dsec -D label default=label -i bootsector install=bootsector -f file disktab=file -l linear -L lba32 -m mapfile map=mapfile -P fix fix-table -P ignore ignore-table -s file backup=file -S file force-backup=file -v verbose=level SEE ALSO
lilo.conf(5). The lilo distribution comes with very extensive documentation. AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@bernina.ethz.ch). John Coffman (johninsd@san.rr.com) (lba32 extensions). 20 March 2000 LILO(8)