Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Run script in new terminal
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run script in new terminal Post 302939974 by sea on Tuesday 31st of March 2015 10:12:44 AM
Old 03-31-2015
What is the difference between you opening a terminal and run that script, rather than executing the script in the current terminal?

Did you try passing the full path to the script?
Because if it happens to be not in the very same path, it will fail immediatly.

You could still make a file with your args, as:
Arg_File:
Code:
arg1 arg2 arg3
arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4
arg1 arg2
arg1 arg2 arg3
arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4
arg1 arg2

Then run something like:
Code:
while read line;do
   sh run_text.sh $line
done<Arg_File

hth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run the start script from the terminal? Newbie Time!

Hi, How do I "run a script"? I'm trying to start up some software called ElectroServer 3, and was told I just needed to "run the start script from the terminal to get things going". From the terminal, i use cd command to change to the software's directory, and I guess the script in question is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: waking_bear
4 Replies

2. Linux

run script through terminal

for all friends i am using linux enterprise 4. i installed oracle 10g in user name oracle.at the end of install i got a pop up window saying that u should run the following scripts(root.sh,orainstRoot.sh) in terminal from root account(cui) without log out oracle account . how i can run these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiquep
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script run everytime a new terminal window is opened

I created a script called title #!/bin/sh echo "^0;$*^G" It will change the terminal window titlebar to what ever I type after the script (title BIG would change titlebar to BIG instead of terminal) Is there a way to make it run so it will work on every terminal window that gets opened.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amason0508
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash script without terminal

How can I make a bash script that keeps on running after I have closed the terminal? Or a script that runs without having the terminal window open? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to run a command in a new terminal

Hey, I am trying to write a script that will open all of my session windows, and then secure shell into the appropriate server in the new windows. Seems simple, but I cant get it to work! Please help! :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sojo1024
1 Replies

7. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi, I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open gnome-terminal with multi tabs and automatically run a script in each tab

Hi All , i am trying to create an alias to open a new gnome-terminal and run some commands in each tab & to have a specific name for each tab i am using csh , tried this command gnome-terminal --tab -t "s1" --tab -t "s2" --tab -t "s3" --tab -t "s4" it opened 4 tabs but the title didn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assem
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies
KTR(9)							   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						    KTR(9)

NAME
CTR0, CTR1, CTR2, CTR3, CTR4, CTR5 -- kernel tracing facility SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/ktr.h> extern int ktr_cpumask; extern int ktr_entries; extern int ktr_extend; extern int ktr_mask; extern int ktr_verbose; extern struct ktr_entry ktr_buf[]; void CTR0(u_int mask, char *format); void CTR1(u_int mask, char *format, arg1); void CTR2(u_int mask, char *format, arg1, arg2); void CTR3(u_int mask, char *format, arg1, arg2, arg3); void CTR4(u_int mask, char *format, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4); void CTR5(u_int mask, char *format, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5); void CTR6(u_int mask, char *format, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6); DESCRIPTION
KTR provides a circular buffer of events that can be logged in a printf(9) style fashion. These events can then be dumped with ddb(4), gdb(1) or ktrdump(8). Events are created and logged in the kernel via the CTRx macros. The first parameter is a mask of event types (KTR_*) defined in <sys/ktr.h>. The event will be logged only if any of the event types specified in mask are enabled in the global event mask stored in ktr_mask. The format argument is a printf(9) style format string used to build the text of the event log message. Following the format string are zero to five arguments referenced by format. Each event is logged with a file name and source line number of the originating CTR call, and a timestamp in addition to the log message. The event is stored in the circular buffer with supplied arguments as is, and formatting is done at the dump time. Do not use pointers to the objects with limited lifetime, for instance, strings, because the pointer may become invalid when buffer is printed. Note that the different macros differ only in the number of arguments each one takes, as indicated by its name. The ktr_entries variable contains the number of entries in the ktr_buf array. These variables are mostly useful for post-mortem crash dump tools to locate the base of the circular trace buffer and its length. The ktr_mask variable contains the run time mask of events to log. The CPU event mask is stored in the ktr_cpumask variable. The ktr_verbose variable stores the verbose flag that controls whether events are logged to the console in addition to the event buffer. EXAMPLES
This example demonstrates the use of tracepoints at the KTR_PROC logging level. void mi_switch() { ... /* * Pick a new current process and record its start time. */ ... CTR3(KTR_PROC, "mi_switch: old proc %p (pid %d)", p, p->p_pid); ... cpu_switch(); ... CTR3(KTR_PROC, "mi_switch: new proc %p (pid %d)", p, p->p_pid); ... } SEE ALSO
ktr(4), ktrdump(8) HISTORY
The KTR kernel tracing facility first appeared in BSD/OS 3.0 and was imported into FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
Currently there is one global buffer shared among all CPUs. It might be profitable at some point in time to use per-CPU buffers instead so that if one CPU halts or starts spinning, then the log messages it emitted just prior to halting or spinning will not be drowned out by events from the other CPUs. The arguments given in CTRx() macros are stored as u_long, so do not pass arguments larger than size of an u_long type. For example passing 64bit arguments on 32bit architectures will give incorrect results. BSD
November 30, 2008 BSD