Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash/awk script problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash/awk script problem Post 302939768 by dsp80 on Saturday 28th of March 2015 04:46:53 PM
Old 03-28-2015
Bash/awk script problem

Hi,

I have 100 files containing different values in single column,
I want to split those files in two separate files (file2 and file3) based on average value of first column of each file,

for those files I am working on the following script

Code:
#bin/bash 
for memb in $(seq 1 100)
do
 awk '{s+=($1); avg = s/NR} END{print avg}' file1_$memb.dat

if [ avg > 0.28 ]; then
      paste file1_$memb > file2.dat
   else
      paste file1_$memb.dat > file3.dat
    fi                             
 done

basically, I want to divide 100 files based on average value and paste each column of files in corresponding files.

thanks,

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-28-2015 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script problem

hi I am writing a bash script that uses dialog to get user input an diplay messages to user. I have a small problem dialog --inputbox "blabla" 20 50 2> /tmp/output VAR="'cat /tmp/output'" mkdir $VAR the code below requests user for a directory path to be created. But, if the user uses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AWK sub function curious problem under bash

I need to detect the number of pages in a print job when it is available so I can warn users when they try to print a report much larger than they expected. Sometimes they are trying to print 1000 page reports when they thought they were getting a 10 page report. Under linux I am scanning the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max Rebo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash or awk script to solve this problem

Hi everybody! I have written some awk scripts that return me some results I need to process. At the moment I use openOffice to process them, but I am trying to find a more efficient solution using possibly a bash or awk script. I have two files, file1 is in the format: time position ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alice236
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in bash script

I have written a script and I get error and I don't understand why. neededParameters=2 numOfParameters=0 correctNum=0 while getopts "s:l:" opt do case "$opt" in s) serviceName= $OPTARG #errorline 1 numOfParameters= $numOfParameters + 1 ;; l) ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with a bash script problem

hi to everyone :) i am new to linux and bash and i am trying to build a bash script, that is quite similar to the well known cmd 'split' ... ;) it is now already "working" ... i can use it like: ./splitfix.sh -v -s 10 foo ./splitfix.sh -s 10 -v foo ./splitfix.sh -s 10 foo ./splitfix.sh -v... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drjodo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: How to convert this bash+awk script in awk script only?

This is the final first release of the dynamic menu generator for pekwm (WM). #!/bin/bash function param_val { awk "/^${1}=/{gsub(/^${1}="'/,""); print; exit}' $2 } echo "Dynamic {" for CF in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications/*.desktop` do name=$(param_val Name $CF) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Bash Script.

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and to the Bash coding scene. I have the following code paths=/test/a paths=/test/b keywords=\"*car*\" keywords=\"*food*\" for file in `find paths -type f -ctime -1 -name keywords -print 2>/dev/null` do #.... do stuff here for every $file found... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash script problem

Hi, Below is my bash script: cat run_all.sh if && ; then Number_Count_Program $1.results $2.results > $1.$2.counts else Number_Split_Program $1.results $2.results > $1.$2.split fi After I run the following command: ./run_all.sh A B ./run_all.sh: line 1: Anybody advice to edit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New problem with awk using bash

Hi! I have a new problem with awk, this time I think is because I'm using it in bash and I don't know how to put the valor of the variable in awk. Here is the code: #!/bin/bash for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do a=$i b=$ awk '$1>=a&&$1<=b {print $1,$2,$3}'>asdf test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: florpi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk instructions and bash variable

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a small script to automatize row data treatment. However, I got some trouble with the awk command. I want to use awk to extract a define paragraph from a text file. The first and final lines are defined externally in two variables called debut and fin. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeaTimeSF
2 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... lam [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
The lam utility copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered frag- ments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name `-' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below: -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a `-', the fragment will be left- adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by `@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes SEE ALSO
join(1), paste(1), pr(1), printf(3) STANDARDS
Some of the functionality of lam is standardized as the paste(1) utility by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BUGS
The lam utility does not recognize multibyte characters. BSD
August 12, 2004 BSD