Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about awk command
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Question about awk command Post 302939607 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 27th of March 2015 03:10:46 AM
Old 03-27-2015
Hello ramkumar15,

Following may help you in same.
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {sum=0} ## In begining sum variable is set to 0
{sum=sum+$5}  ## Now adding $5 values each time with it's previous values so that we can get complete SUM of $5 in variable sum
END {print sum}' input_file  ## At last printing value of variable sum

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk question...getting awk to act on $1 of the command itself

I have a script problem that I am not able to solve due my very limited understanding of unix/awk. This is the contents of test.sh awk '{print $1}' From the prompt if I enter: ./test.sh Hello World I would expect to see "Hello" but all I get is a blank line. Only then if I enter "Hello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk and find command question

Hello! I have written this script: for file in "$( find $dirName -type d )" do echo "$file" echo "hello" done but as a result I get all the directories and in the end the work "hello". Shouldn't it print the word "hello" after printing the name of each directory and not in the end? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GeorgeP
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK printf command question

Hi, I am using below awk code to convert a csv file data into fixed file format. awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," fmt = "%10s%010d%10s%d%1d\n" } NR>1 { printf fmt, $1, $2, $3, $4*100, $5 }' /data/mydata.csv > /data/fixed.dat Data in mydata.csv ================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kbmkris
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printf command question

Hi, I am using below awk code to convert a csv file data into fixed file format. awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," fmt = "%10s%010d%10s%d%1d\n" } NR>1 { printf fmt, $1, $2, $3, $4*100, $5 }' /data/mydata.csv > /data/fixed.dat Data in mydata.csv ================... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbmkris
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about a awk command

Hi, I am studying an awk command: awk '{ sub(/\/\/.*/, "", $NF); print }' input.txt The input.txt is: char*s1="//hello"; //comment //delete /* hello //*/ The output is : char*s1="//hello"; /* hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
2 Replies
sum(3tcl)						     Cyclic Redundancy Checks							 sum(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
sum - Calculate a sum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require sum ?1.1.0? ::crc::sum ?-bsd | -sysv? ?-format fmt? ?-chunksize size? [ -filename file | -channel chan | string ] _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the sum(1) command which calculates a 16 bit checksum value from the input data. The BSD sum algorithm is used by default but the SysV algorithm is also available. COMMANDS
::crc::sum ?-bsd | -sysv? ?-format fmt? ?-chunksize size? [ -filename file | -channel chan | string ] The command takes string data or a file name or a channel and returns a checksum value calculated using the sum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(3tcl) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-sysv The SysV algorithm is fairly naive. The byte values are summed and any overflow is discarded. The lowest 16 bits are returned as the checksum. Input with the same content but different ordering will give the same result. -bsd This algorithm is similar to the SysV version but includes a bit rotation step which provides a dependency on the order of the data values. -filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -channel chan Return a checksum for the contents of the specified channel. The channel must be open for reading and should be configured for binary translation. The channel will no be closed on completion. -chunksize size Set the block size used when reading data from either files or channels. This value defaults to 4096. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::sum "Hello, World!" 37287 % crc::sum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x91A7 % crc::sum -file sum.tcl 13392 AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category crc of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
cksum(3tcl), crc32(3tcl), sum(1) KEYWORDS
checksum, cksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security, sum CATEGORY
Hashes, checksums, and encryption COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts <patthoyts@users.sourceforge.net> crc 1.1.0 sum(3tcl)