Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc. Post 302939475 by sea on Wednesday 25th of March 2015 05:52:38 PM
Old 03-25-2015
Then replace the red marked string with _backups/database.
But leave your original script otherwise intact.

hth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

archiving equal sets of files from directories

Good morning. I am trying to write a script on SunOS that will tar up files from a set of directories. This is no problem, but what I need to do is to create 3 different archives each containing a third of the files from a particular sub-directory. So if I have a directory structure: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1world1love
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files between directories using SFTP

I want to connect to an SFTP server, GET some files, then move those files to a different directory on the SFTP server so I don't try to GET them next time. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move files between directories on the remote server from SFTP. I missing something obvious? And if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating timestamped directories/files in expect

Hi, I am looking for the syntax to provide a timestamped log_file in expect. Basically I want the equivalent of: /outputs/`date +%d%m%y`/session`date +%H%M` But scripted in expect so it can be handed over to the logfile function. I have tried playing around with the timestamp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krypton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files to different directories

im trying to move media and other files which are in a specified directory to another directory and create another one if it does not exits(where the files will go),them also create a directory will the remaining files with different extensions will go.my first problem is that my script is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)