Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI) Post 302939167 by sun-mik on Monday 23rd of March 2015 09:57:21 AM
Old 03-23-2015
partition slice

Each slice must not ovewrite other so start sector for a slice should be last sector of previous one + 1
I.g. in your table you can't create slice 1 because first sector should be 1007583
that is already in reserved slice 8

If you don't like how partition table is made, you should modify it (i.g. you should decrease slice 0), but in this case you loss data

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

slice & partition???

:confused: Hello, What is the difference between slice and partition on Solaris world? Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
4 Replies

2. Solaris

EFI Disk labels on 3510 raid array

Hi Peeps, Can anyone help me an EFI lablel on a 3510 raid array that I cannot get rid of, format -e and label just asks you if you want to label it. Want an SMI label writing to it. Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the EFI label? Thanks in advance Martin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing using ZFS - need to remove EFI disk labels

What is the preferred way of doing this from a bare metal install? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ZFS - whole disk Vs slice

we have a ZFS file system that was created as a pool of just one disk (raid on a SAN) when this was created it was done as a whole disk, and so EFI label. now we want to mount this file system into an LDOM. my understanding of how ldom's and disk works this is that we can only do this as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsonde
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

6. BSD

Find Partition/Slice UUID

I thought I had figured this out at one point, but I can't remember. Is there a way/command to get the UUIDs of a disk's partitions/slices in FreeBSD? Linux has the blkid command, which doesn't seem to be available. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

7. Solaris

EFI disk labeling / understand the parition table / sectors not continue

Hi all, I have a EFI disk and it is use in zfs pool. partition> p Volume: rpool Current partition table (original): Total disk sectors available: 1172107117 + 16384 (reserved sectors) Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector 0 usr wm ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
8 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)