Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX nsswitch.conf issue
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX nsswitch.conf issue Post 302939117 by sparcguy on Monday 23rd of March 2015 12:02:49 AM
Old 03-23-2015
nsswitch.conf is very sensitive in HPUX. strange things can happen if this config is wrong because it does try to do lookup and resolutions, apart from slow logins have also seen other things like doing swinstall can also be affected.

First login to a few putty sessions as root.

Then try remove the dns. and see if it improves.

Code:
hosts:        files dns

To:
Code:
hosts:        files

If you really having dns make sure you have resolvable name server entries in your /etc/resolv.conf

Last edited by rbatte1; 03-23-2015 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Emboldened names and added CODE tags for files
This User Gave Thanks to sparcguy For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apache httpd.conf <VirtualHost> issue

I have just configured httpd.conf on a new Redhat 9 install. Below are my additions to httpd.conf. Everything works fine except that when typing http://spetnik.d2g.com into my web browser, I am sent to the "Default catch all" site. Any clues? NameVirtualHost *:80 #Default catch all ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
5 Replies

2. Solaris

/etc/nsswitch.conf hosts ldap dns

Hi all Is there any reason to have "hosts ldap dns" as line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? My understanding is that ldap does not contain any host information..(?) Best regards...Ludwig (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ludwig
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sendmail does not accord to the hosts order in Solaris nsswitch.conf

Dear Friend, It is strange that my sendmail does not accord to the hosts order in solaris nsswitch.conf. Please let me elaborate in details. Thank you. Setting: solaris 9 /etc/nsswitch.conf hosts: file ldap dns sendmail 8.13.4 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf O... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackyyjwu
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Ignite issue on HPUX server

Hi All, I am getting below error while igniting(restoring image) on 2470 server. i tried with different images it is giving same error. please help me out to resolve this issue * Making VxFS filesystem for "/usr/aethos/snss/suppimpapp1", (/dev/vg00/rsuppimpapp1). *... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prabhu H
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

HPUX model scirpt issue

hi, I am using HPUX 11.31(Itanium) and HP 5100 printer. I am using PCL5.nloo model script present in HPUX by default to print to printer. I am finding issues in printing paper sizes and few other options. Description of the problem: When i give a print with option "half" and "Legal"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Question about nsswitch.conf

Hi, I was told to add the "nis" in front of "files" for below lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf was not in a good practise. I tried to search in google and man page for nsswitch.conf and can't find the answer. could someone please help me? passwd: nis files shadow: nis files group: nis files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beeloo
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue on resolv.conf

Hi all, :( I am facing issue while I have updated in resolv.conf, after nework service restart, it was automatically deleted IP from resolv.conf file. Could you please let me know what is the reason resolv.conf deleted any IP which I have manually updated, but it store only my router IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradipta Kumar
3 Replies

8. BSD

Syslog.conf issue

I'm trying to get all ipfw logs going to ipfw.log I've managed that, but ipfw.log is also getting stuff that shows up in system.log !-ipfw *.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,ftp,install,internal.none /var/log/system.log kern.* /var/log/kernel.log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
nsquery(1)						      General Commands Manual							nsquery(1)

NAME
nsquery - query the Name Service Switch backend libraries SYNOPSIS
lookup_type lookup_query [lookup_policy] DESCRIPTION
is used to find the Name Service that returned the response to a or function call. This application is Name Service Switch aware and fol- lows the lookup policies in The supported lookup_type values are: Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Used to resolve user name or UID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a UID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve user name lookups. Used to resolve UID lookups. Used to resolve group name or GID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a GID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve group name lookups. Used to resolve GID lookups. Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Only IPv6 and IPv4-mapped IPv6 address will be displayed for host name lookups. The lookup_query can either be a host name, IP Address (IPv4 only), user name, user ID, group name, or group ID. The lookup_policy must be a valid lookup policy described in nsswitch.conf(4). If the policy is invalid, the system default policy will be used. The default values for lookup_policy are: dns [NOTFOUND=return] nis [NOTFOUND=return] files files nis files nis dns [NOTFOUND=return] files will display the lookup policy being used, the name of the service being queried, and the result of the query. EXAMPLES
Lookup host hondo using the default hosts lookup policy. Lookup host with ip address 15.204.204.204 using "dns files" as the hosts lookup policy. Lookup user dog using "ldap" as the passwd lookup policy. Lookup user ID 105 using the default passwd lookup policy. Lookup group wayne using group lookup policy "nis [NOTFOUND=RETURN] files". Lookup group 22 using the default group lookup policy. Lookup host rio using "dns" as the ipnodes lookup policy. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Success. Invalid Usage. Unknown Action. No match found in any name services queried. WARNINGS
The and lookup_type values are to be obsoleted. For use or instead. For use or instead. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
nsswitch.conf(4). nsquery(1)