Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed replace nth characters with string Post 302939099 by RudiC on Sunday 22nd of March 2015 03:45:55 PM
Old 03-22-2015
Any attempts from your side?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nth instance of string

Hi all, I have file with following content ........................... ..........TEST.......... ..........TEST.......... ..................... .....TEST.......... ..................... ..................... .....TEST.......... I want to replace nth "TEST" with "OK" using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to remove nth characters from end of filename

Hi all, I have this basic script to remove, in this case 9 characters from the end of a file name. This is what I have so far, for file in *.mov do newname=`echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\)........./\1/' ` mv "$file" "$newname" done The problem is that it removes the file extension as well.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern and replace x-y characters in nth line after every match

Hi, I am looking for any script which can do the following. have to read a pattern from fileA and copy it to fileB. fileA: ... ... Header ... ... ..p1 ... ... fileB: .... .... Header (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value of Nth field of nth row

Using Awk, how can I achieve the following? I have set of record numbers, for which, I have to replace the nth field with some values, say spaces. Eg: Set of Records : 4,9,10,55,89,etc I have to change the 8th field of all the above set of records to spaces (10 spaces). Its a delimited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed?

Hi, I would like to know how, using sed, be able to insert contents of file2 in file1 after say the second occurrence of a given string? e.g. > cat file1 banana apple orange apple banana pear tangerine apple > cat file2 I don't like apples What would be the sed command to insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimocn
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace Nth match in a file

I have a situation where a file "config.txt" looks like this Servername: OS: Serername: OS: Servername: OS: .... .... ... Servername: OS: looking for the sed syntax to replace the "Nth" occurrence of Servername (i would apply the same logic to OS as well), want to replace the Nth... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace string from nth column from a file?

I wanted to search for a string and replace it with other string from nth column of a file which is comma seperated which I am able to do with below # For Comma seperated file without quotes awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS=","}$"'"$ColumnNo"'"=="'"$PPK"'"{$"'"$ColumnNo"'"="'"$NPK"'"}{print}' ${FileName} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
xcompmgr(1)						      General Commands Manual						       xcompmgr(1)

NAME
xcompmgr - sample X compositing manager SYNOPSIS
xcompmgr [-d display] [-r radius] [-o opacity] [-l left-offset] [-t top-offset] [-acCfFnsS] DESCRIPTION
xcompmgr is a sample compositing manager for X servers supporting the XFIXES, DAMAGE, and COMPOSITE extensions. It enables basic eye-candy effects. OPTIONS
-d display Specifies the display to manage. -r radius Specifies the blur radius for client-side shadows. -o opacity Specifies the opacity for client-side shadows. -l left-offset Specifies the left offset for client-side shadows. -t top-offset Specifies the top offset for client-side shadows. -I fade-in-step Specifies the opacity change between steps while fading in. -O fade-out-step Specifies the opacity change between steps while fading out. -D fade-delta Specifies the time (in milliseconds) between steps in a fade. -a Automatic server-side compositing. This instructs the server to use the standard composition rules. Useful for debugging. -c Client-side compositing with soft shadows and translucency support. -f When -c is specified, enables a smooth fade effect for transient windows like menus, and for all windows on hide and restore events. -n Simple client-side compositing. -s Server-side compositing with hard-edged shadows. -C When -c is specified, attempts to avoid painting shadows on panels and docks. -F When -f is specified, also enables the fade effect when windows change their opacity, as with transset(1). -S Enables synchronous operation. Useful for debugging. BUGS
Probably. Please report any you find to http://bugs.freedesktop.org/. AUTHORS
Keith Packard, with contributions from Matthew Allum, Eric Anholt, Dan Doel, Thomas Luebking, Matthew Hawn, Ely Levy, Phil Blundell, and Carl Worth. xcompmgr(1)