Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions New user needs help with bourne shell script Post 302939055 by luislozoya on Sunday 22nd of March 2015 12:24:56 AM
Old 03-22-2015
New user needs help with bourne shell script

This is my question, below the question is the template

Write and execute a Bourne shell script called homework that will

From within the script, create three background processes:
a) (2 points) one that saves a long listing of your hidden files to a file named hiddenlist
b) (2 points) one that saves a full listing of the status of your current running processes to a file named pstat
c) (2 points) one that stores only the count of the number of words from the file homework2 into a file named wordcount
d) (1 point) issue a command to wait for ALL three background processes to complete.
e) (1 point) give the user a message stating that the process are completed

1.There are no variables.

2. Relevant commands, code, script, alogrithems.
The relevant command would be cat to create files the | to join commands
for a I would need ls -la
for b I would need ps
for c I would need wc
for d I would need wait
for e I would need echo

3. Here is one of the many attempts I have made to solve this problem, I have many more but don't want
to flood the forum with my failed attempts.

Code:
cat > hiddenlist | ls -la > hiddenlist
cat > pstat | ps > pstat
cat > wordcount | wc homework2 > wordcount
wait

echo “Background Processes complete”

4. California State University Fullerton, Fullerton California USA Floyd Holiday CPSC253U

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-22-2015 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne shell script

Hi all, Can somebody answer the following query Thanks, Srinivas A shell program that takes one or any number of file directory names as input; sorts the directories given as parameters jointly in the ascending or decending order of choice For EX : dips abc etc desc will sort the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psrinivas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne Shell Script

Hello, I'm throwing this out there as a novice to the Unix world...I've been working on a project that requires me to ouput (using the echo command) a list of names in a single column format, but the problem is the input is in row format followed by a blank space...If anyone could give me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmhonor914
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble using substr function with Bourne shell script

Hi, I'm a newbie to UNIX scripting and I'm having some trouble compiling my script. I'm using the Bourne Shell and cannot seem to use the substr function correctly. I'm trying to extract the last two digits of a year that's stored in a variable based off of a condition. I've searched the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: E2004
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd from a Bourne Shell Script - Please Help

Dear Bourne Shell Expert, I am trying to change the current working directory from within a Bourne Shell script. Simply enough i thought ! As I am sure you are well aware, Inside the script i echo `pwd` and it seems ok, but the shell spawns another shell to execute this and as such, when my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script

Bourne: How to invoke an alias from within a shell script If I type in the alias in the command line, it runs If I insert that same alias into my shell script and run the shell script, the alias is not invoked. Help please. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techshots
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting user input in Bourne shell and using sed

He guys. Basically I want to make a script that can add, delete and view stuff in a external file called config.txt. I can open it up in Joe but im not sure how to read in the user input or using commands automatically in joe to edit, save then quit. Problem area below: 1) echo "Add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pits
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne script: Check for root and oracle user

I have 2 separate Bourne shell scripts with 2 questions in Sun O/S & UNIX environment. Question 1: One of the scripts is supposed to be executed by "root" user only but cannot be executed after user executes "su - oracle". How can I check in the script whether the current user is "root" user?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: totziens
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open a file from within a Bourne shell Script

I am suppose to make a program that cuts the extension off of a file. It uses that .ext to decide which program needs to be used to open the file. This only finds the name of the program from a list of programs I made. My problem is when it has the name of the program it needs to use, how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dordrix
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD