Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to accept specific columns from excel Post 302938878 by durden_tyler on Thursday 19th of March 2015 05:22:19 PM
Old 03-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar.jadhav
1. to check if the the input .xls file has ony two columns , if more tahn two columns then script should pop up an error.
2. If there are two columns , then first column should have header 'ID' and second column as 'Name' , if this is not the case then script should fire an error.
For check # 1 - use the col_range() method to determine the min and max column values and proceed from there.

For check # 2 - use the get_cell(row, col) method to fetch the values of the relevant cells and perform your checks.

More detailed information of all methods of this module are at this location:

https://metacpan.org/pod/Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns to excel files using Perl

How do I add 4 columns to an excel file using Perl? The 4 headers for those columns will all have different names? Please help and I greatly appreciate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Split Excel Workbook to Indiv Excel files

Hi, I am trying to find a way to read an excel work book with multiple worksheets. And write each worksheet into a new excel file using perl. My environment is Unix. For example: I have an excel workbook TEST.xls and it has Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 worksheets. I would like to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep78
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to sort an Excel file

Hello! I need to sort a file that is partly in English partly in Bulgarian. The original file is an Excel file but I converted it to a tab-delimited text file. The encoding of the tab delimited file is UTF-8. To sort the text, the script should test every line of the text file to see if... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: degoor
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to get info from specific rows & columns (.xls file)

Hi all, I want to read some specific rows & columns in the .xls file with my script to get the data to be manipulated. Now, I can read the .xls file correctly & i can go to the specific sheet that I want but i have a problem to specify the specific rows & columns. I mean, I want to get the info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yohannita
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept arguments in shell script when calling in perl

I have a shell script like this: #!/bin/sh $PYTHON MetarDecoder.py < ../data/mtrs/arg1/arg2 And I'm calling it with this in perl: my $output = `./metar_parse.sh --options`; It's successful when I put in actual values for arg1 and arg2 in the shell script, but I'd like to pass arguments... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civilsurfer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to Merge contents of 2 different excel files in a single excel file

All, I have an excel sheet Excel1.xls that has some entries. I have one more excel sheet Excel2.xls that has entries only in those cells which are blank in Excel1.xls These may be in different workbooks. They are totally independent made by 2 different users. I have placed them in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need specific columns in a log file as excel.

Hi All... I am in need of few columns from a log file.. in .xls file... below is what i have tried. my log file has 16 colums with " ; " as delimiter, but i need randomn columns 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 16 in an excel. I tried to awk the columns with delimiter ; and it worked, below is the log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific range of columns in an Excel file

Hi All, I want to read an excel file. PFA excel, I want to read the cloumn from A to G and the V to AH starting from Row number 3. Please help me on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhisrajput
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script, For loop output to excel as columns

Hi, I have a shell script which analyses the log folder for a specific string and throws me the output. I have used for loop since it does this in multiple servers. Now I want to save the output in a excel in the below format. Can someone please help? The output which I get Server1 : count... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxman
14 Replies
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		  Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser(3pm)

NAME
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser - Rewrite an existing Excel file. SYNOPSIS
Say we start with an Excel file that looks like this: ----------------------------------------------------- | | A | B | C | ----------------------------------------------------- | 1 | Hello | ... | ... | ... | 2 | World | ... | ... | ... | 3 | *Bold text* | ... | ... | ... | 4 | ... | ... | ... | ... | 5 | ... | ... | ... | ... Then we process it with the following program: #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel; use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser; # Open an existing file with SaveParser my $parser = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser->new(); my $template = $parser->Parse('template.xls'); # Get the first worksheet. my $worksheet = $template->worksheet(0); my $row = 0; my $col = 0; # Overwrite the string in cell A1 $worksheet->AddCell( $row, $col, 'New string' ); # Add a new string in cell B1 $worksheet->AddCell( $row, $col + 1, 'Newer' ); # Add a new string in cell C1 with the format from cell A3. my $cell = $worksheet->get_cell( $row + 2, $col ); my $format_number = $cell->{FormatNo}; $worksheet->AddCell( $row, $col + 2, 'Newest', $format_number ); # Write over the existing file or write a new file. $template->SaveAs('newfile.xls'); We should now have an Excel file that looks like this: ----------------------------------------------------- | | A | B | C | ----------------------------------------------------- | 1 | New string | Newer | *Newest* | ... | 2 | World | ... | ... | ... | 3 | *Bold text* | ... | ... | ... | 4 | ... | ... | ... | ... | 5 | ... | ... | ... | ... DESCRIPTION
The "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser" module rewrite an existing Excel file by reading it with "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel" and rewriting it with "Spreadsheet::WriteExcel". METHODS
Parser new() $parse = new Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser(); Constructor. Parse() $workbook = $parse->Parse($sFileName); $workbook = $parse->Parse($sFileName , $formatter); Returns a "Workbook" object. If an error occurs, returns undef. The optional $formatter is a Formatter Class to format the value of cells. Workbook The "Parse()" method returns a "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser::Workbook" object. This is a subclass of the Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Workbook and has the following methods: worksheets() Returns an array of "Worksheet" objects. This was most commonly used to iterate over the worksheets in a workbook: for my $worksheet ( $workbook->worksheets() ) { ... } worksheet() The "worksheet()" method returns a single "Worksheet" object using either its name or index: $worksheet = $workbook->worksheet('Sheet1'); $worksheet = $workbook->worksheet(0); Returns "undef" if the sheet name or index doesn't exist. AddWorksheet() $workbook = $workbook->AddWorksheet($name, %properties); Create a new Worksheet object of type "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Worksheet". The %properties hash contains the properties of new Worksheet. AddFont $workbook = $workbook->AddFont(%properties); Create new Font object of type "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Font". The %properties hash contains the properties of new Font. AddFormat $workbook = $workbook->AddFormat(%properties); The %properties hash contains the properties of new Font. Worksheet Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser::Worksheet Worksheet is a subclass of Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Worksheet. And has these methods : The "Worksbook::worksheet()" method returns a "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser::Worksheet" object. This is a subclass of the Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Worksheet and has the following methods: AddCell $workbook = $worksheet->AddCell($row, $col, $value, $format [$encoding]); Create new Cell object of type "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Cell". The $format parameter is the format number rather than a full format object. To specify just same as another cell, you can set it like below: $row = 0; $col = 0; $worksheet = $template->worksheet(0); $cell = $worksheet->get_cell( $row, $col ); $format_number = $cell->{FormatNo}; $worksheet->AddCell($row +1, $coll, 'New data', $format_number); TODO
Please note that this module is currently (versions 0.50-0.60) undergoing a major restructuring and rewriting. Known Problems You can only rewrite the features that Spreadsheet::WriteExcel supports so macros, graphs and some other features in the original Excel file will be lost. Also, formulas aren't rewritten, only the result of a formula is written. Only last print area will remain. (Others will be removed) AUTHOR
Maintainer 0.40+: John McNamara jmcnamara@cpan.org Maintainer 0.27-0.33: Gabor Szabo szabgab@cpan.org Original author: Kawai Takanori kwitknr@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 John McNamara Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Gabor Szabo Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Kawai Takanori and Nippon-RAD Co. OP Division All rights reserved. You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. perl v5.10.1 2010-09-17 Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::SaveParser(3pm)