Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automate copying files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automate copying files Post 302938720 by zozoo on Wednesday 18th of March 2015 02:01:24 PM
Old 03-18-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayram_arya
Need assistance in automate a process.

directory has list of files that needs to be copied based on the paths listed in another file . Need to automate this process. Your inputs are highly appreciated

Directory has list of files.
Code:
abc.sh
def.sh
demo.sh
foo.sh
bar.sh

File which has all the paths
Code:
/home/demo/script/abc.sh
/home/demo/fc/scripts/hello.sh
/home/gear/scripts/test.sh
/home/scripts/demo.sh

is this wat you are try to do

Code:
for i in *.sh
do
path=`grep $i <pathtofilecontaingthepaths>`
cp $i $path
done

This User Gave Thanks to zozoo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files

I like to know the command structure of copying files/directories from a unix box using telnet session to a windows box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpheusm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

automate backing up uploaded files

Hi, We are running FTP Server on UNIX (Solaris 9). Users login and upload (also download) files whenever required. Now, we have to automate the process which makes a copy of every file immediately after it gets uploaded to the FTP server (by any user). I've ruled out rsync,mirror,filesync... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate daily FTP files

How to automate FTP files daily with the following constraints 1) Try (every 15 mins or 30 mins) FTP till it reconnects 2) Files that arrive in between 5:30 pm and 2:00 am 3) The sat and sun, mon files are to be FTP on monday. 4) Only the txt files are to be FTP'ed. The following are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Copying Files

Hi, I understand that to copy files across server, the feasible way will be using scp command. Am I right? What if the two servers are not connected to a network? If by using a cross cable to link up both the server, what will be the best (fastest) way to copy files across? scp as well? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user50210
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate sftp in a script to 'get' files.

Hi, I read a couple of forum entries about scripting sftp using the '-b' option, but in my case it still prompts for the password. Does anyone have a sample script for an sftp block to 'get' files from the remote server without prompting for a password? Both the remote and the local servers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Files

Hi All, I'm trying to list some files from my log directory and files are like this log.20110302_20.gz log.20110302_21.gz log.20110302_22.gz log.20110302_23.gz log.20110303_00.gz log.20110303_01.gz log.20110303_02.gz ............ log.20110311_22.gz log.20110311_23.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files copying - [ Listed files alone. ] - Shell script

Hi All, I am doing this for svn patch making. I got the list of files to make the patch. I have the list in a file with path of all the files. To Do From Directory : /myproject/MainDir To Directory : /myproject/data List of files need to copy is in the file: /myproject/filesList.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files

I'm trying to do this exact same thing, so far I have created this to move files i've named my script CP.sh #!/bin/bash cd /root/my-documents/NewDir/ for f in *.doc do cp -v $f root/my-documents/NewDir $f{%.doc} done When i go to run this in the console i type, bin/sh/ CP.sh but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKTM_93_SIMP
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
cp(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cp(1)

Name
       cp - copy file data

Syntax
       cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] file1 file2

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] file... directory

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] directory... directory

Description
       The command copies file1 onto file2.  The mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; the mode of file1 is used otherwise.
       Note that the command will not copy a file onto itself.

In the second form, one or more files are copied into the directory with their original file names.

In the third form, one or more source directories are copied into the destination directory with their original file names.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before copying, without prompting for confirmation.  The -i option is  ignored	if
	    the -f option is specified.

-i   Prompts  user  with  the name of file whenever the copy will cause an old file to be overwritten. A yes answer will cause to continue.
	    Any other answer will prevent it from overwriting the file.

-p   Preserves (duplicates) in the copies the modification time, access time, file mode, user ID, and group ID as allowed  by  the  permis-
	    sions of the source files, ignoring the present umask.

-r   Copies  directories.  Entire directory trees, including their subtrees and the individual files they contain, are copied to the speci-
	    fied destination directory. The directory, its subtrees, and the individual files retain their original names. For	example,  to  copy
	    the directory including all of its subtrees and files, into the directory enter the following command:
	    cp -r reports news

See Also
       cat(1), pr(1), mv(1)

cp(1)