Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source Backup Wordpress with Shell Script Post 302938554 by wyclef on Tuesday 17th of March 2015 12:25:28 PM
Old 03-17-2015
Backup Wordpress with Shell Script

Hello,

I'm trying to backup Wordpress files and database with a shell script. I found one online that works great and am trying to work it a bit to provide more notices and progress info as well as work on some problems I'm having.

For starters... when I run this I get a notice after Create the archive... and Append the dump to the archive...

"tar: Removing leading `/' from member names"

Does anyone know what this means, and what I can do about it? This is run in a shared hosting environment if that helps.

Also, I'm sort of new to shell scripting but how can I add some kind of progress notice after each step, or a blinking ellipsis to designate that there is an ongoing process taking place. And one other thing... would there be a good way to secure the DB credentials so they aren't just out in the open? Also, how could I set this to cycle the files every month or set time period... like 30 days?

Any help would be appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# This script creates a compressed backup archive of the given directory and the given MySQL table. More details on implementation here: http://theme.fm
# Feel free to use this script wherever you want, however you want. We produce open source, GPLv2 licensed stuff.
# Author: Konstantin Kovshenin exclusively for Theme.fm in June, 2011

# Set the date format, filename and the directories where your backup files will be placed and which directory will be archived.
NOW=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H%M")
FILE="mydomain.com.$NOW.tar"
BACKUP_DIR="/home/user/backups"
WWW_DIR="/home/user/mydomain.com/"

# MySQL database credentials
DB_USER="database_user"
DB_PASS="database_password"
DB_NAME="database_name"
DB_HOST="mysql.mydomain.com"
DB_FILE="mydomain.com.$NOW.sql"

# Tar transforms for better archive structure.
WWW_TRANSFORM='s,^home/user/mydomain.com,www,'
DB_TRANSFORM='s,^home/user/backups,database,'

# Initial setup
TODAY=$(date)
echo "----------------------------------------------------
Date: $TODAY
Host: mydomain.com automated backup"

# Create the archive and the MySQL dump
echo "----------------------------------------------------"
echo "Create the archive..."
tar -cpf $BACKUP_DIR/$FILE --transform $WWW_TRANSFORM $WWW_DIR
echo "Done!"
echo "Create the MySQL dump..."
mysqldump -h $DB_HOST -u$DB_USER -p$DB_PASS $DB_NAME > $BACKUP_DIR/$DB_FILE
echo "Done!"

# Append the dump to the archive, remove the dump and compress the whole archive.
echo "----------------------------------------------------"
echo "Append the dump to the archive..."
tar --append --file=$BACKUP_DIR/$FILE --transform $DB_TRANSFORM $BACKUP_DIR/$DB_FILE
echo "Done!"
echo "Remove the dump..."
rm $BACKUP_DIR/$DB_FILE
echo "Done!"
echo "Compress the whole archive..."
gzip -9 $BACKUP_DIR/$FILE
echo "Done!"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with a backup shell script

I'm having an issue with a problem A problem with this backup script is that if you backup the same file twice, you may get a warning message because you're overwriting an existing file. You could suppress the warning message, but a better solution is to save a series of backups distinguished by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dingosatemypant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a backup shell script

am writing my very first shell script and need some assistance. What I need help on is three things in particular. 1) Do I need to use the sleep function after the tar command or does the script know to wait until tar finishes to move on to the next line? 2) Did I populate the variable DATE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhm54
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with backup shell script

Hello all, I am trying to backup my system database and root filesystem on remote server that is mounted on my system using tar command. For the database, i use (cd /database; tar cvf file.tar .) for the Root filesystem, i use (cd /; tar uEvf file.tar .) both are to be backup on the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omoniyi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script

Hi, I am a linux newbie and I dont have any knowledge on scripting but this is my urgent requirement. I am suppose to write a backup script for 2 of my servers, could someone help me out please. below is my requirement Mail Server 1 : 10.0.0.1 Mail Server 2 : 10.0.0.2 Backup Server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry289
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to backup

Q: script to daily backup all databases in the server, retain only last 4 backps please anyone give me a reply (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssooraj72
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to print the first date of the previous month in 20130101 format. i use the below script month_year=$(date +'%m%Y' | awk '!--$1{$1=12;$2--}') m=${month_year% *} y=$month_year##* } d=$(cal $m $y | paste -s - | awk '{print $NF}') firstdate=${printf '02d01%s' $y $m) echo $firstdate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino1989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear friends, I need your help. I need to create a bash script which can loop through $source_dir once a month, and find the backup of the last day of a given month for each of the 2 file types, as can be seen below. Assume that source_dir="/backup/daily" Assume that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joemb
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

hello guys i am new and i am using Solaris 8 as operating system. i have some CD and i want to install the data from it. Package and patches. Which command shall i use? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moh_abaloo
3 Replies
BACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BACKUP(8)

NAME
backup - backup files SYNOPSIS
backup [-djmnorstvz] dir1 dir2 OPTIONS
-d At top level, only directories are backed up -j Do not copy junk: *.Z, *.bak, a.out, core, etc -m If device full, prompt for new diskette -n Do not backup top-level directories -o Do not copy *.o files -r Restore files -s Do not copy *.s files -t Preserve creation times -v Verbose; list files being backed up -z Compress the files on the backup medium EXAMPLES
backup -mz . /f0 # Backup current directory compressed backup /bin /usr/bin # Backup bin from RAM disk to hard disk DESCRIPTION
Backup (recursively) backs up the contents of a given directory and its subdirectories to another part of the file system. It has two typ- ical uses. First, some portion of the file system can be backed up onto 1 or more diskettes. When a diskette fills up, the user is prompted for a new one. The backups are in the form of mountable file systems. Second, a directory on RAM disk can be backed up onto hard disk. If the target directory is empty, the entire source directory is copied there, optionally compressed to save space. If the target directory is an old backup, only those files in the target directory that are older than similar names in the source directory are replaced. Backup uses times for this purpose, like make. Calling Backup as Restore is equivalent to using the -r option; this replaces newer files in the target directory with older files from the source directory, uncompressing them if necessary. The target directory con- tents are thus returned to some previous state. SEE ALSO
tar(1). BACKUP(8)