Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Make bold chars in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Make bold chars in UNIX Post 302938553 by cjcox on Tuesday 17th of March 2015 11:58:51 AM
Old 03-17-2015
Just to add to agent.kgb...

You could do:

Code:
b=`tput bold`
c=`tput sgr0`
echo "Hello ${b}ShekhaReddy${c}. Welcome to the forums."

This User Gave Thanks to cjcox For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How can I make ls -l in HP-UNIX?

I made a liitle source about that.. BUt I got a trouble when making files'authority.. How can I display them?? p.s.) used struct stat .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangjinn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden chars in Unix can be replaced?

We have some unseen chars in unix, like '^T's, can be seen with 'cat -v' command. Is there any way, with which, we can replace these ^T s with a space? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to make a bold text in vi

pls disregard got my question answered . as you can't do bold in vi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i make this bold

Folks; I'm writing this as a part of a script: echo "col1 hdg|col2hdg|col3hdg|" How can i make these fields shows in Bold text? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

6. Programming

Unix Make

I need tutorial on Make utility on Unix. Any help or link appreciated. many thanks Mirko (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmipko
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold chars redirect to CSV

Is there any way to redirect characters in bold to .csv file using KSH. I need to open this csv in MS EXCEL. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing formats (bold) from UNIX file

Hi , Could you please guide me how to remove formatting (bold text) in a unix file? vi editor showing like this... ^ Cat command showing like this... tl21ss01 tl21ss02 tl21ss03 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
tput(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tput(1)

NAME
tput - Queries the terminal information database SYNOPSIS
tput [-S] [-T term] [capability_name [parameter...]] The tput command uses the terminfo database to make terminal-dependent information available to the shell. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: tput: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Specifies that input be received from standard input. Specifies the terminal type. By default, the terminal type is taken from the environment variable TERM. OPERANDS
The capability_name argument may be one of the following special strings: Displays the clear-screen sequence. Displays the sequences that initialize the user's terminal. [Tru64 UNIX] Displays the terminfo long name for the terminal. Displays the sequences that reset the user's terminal. DESCRIPTION
The capability_name argument indicates the attribute type from a terminfo file. The output of the tput command is a string if the attribute capability_name is of the type string, or an integer if the attribute is of the type integer. If the capability_name is of the type Boolean, the tput command sets the exit value to zero (0) for TRUE, 1 for FALSE, and produces no other output. For more information, see the terminfo(4) reference page. NOTES
If your terminal does not support the requested capability, it is not an error. EXIT STATUS
Equals FALSE Boolean value or the requested string was written successfully. [Tru64 UNIX] Equals TRUE Boolean value. Specifies a usage error. Specifies that information on this terminal is not available. Specifies that the capability_name is invalid. Specifies that an error occurred. EXAMPLES
To echo the clear-screen sequence for the current terminal: # tput clear To display the number of columns for the current terminal: # tput cols To set and unset the highlight-mode sequences for the current terminal: # bold=`tput smso` # unbold=`tput rmso` If you are using the C shell (csh), the argument to set and unset sequences must be enclosed in double quotes: # bold="`tput smso`" # unbold="`tput rmso`" Both of these examples can be followed by a prompt: echo "${bold}Please type in your name:${unbold} To set the exit value to indi- cate if the current terminal is a hardcopy terminal: tput hc If you are using the C shell (csh), the exit value for the preceding example is stored in $status; otherwise, the exit value is stored in $?. To move the cursor to line 2, row 2: tput cup 2 2 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of tput: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Terminal information database Definition files curses library definition file SEE ALSO
Commands: stty(1), tabs(1) Routines: curses(3) Files: terminfo(4) Standards: standards(5) tput(1)