Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file Post 302938472 by pilnet101 on Monday 16th of March 2015 08:39:12 PM
Old 03-16-2015
Depending on your version of grep you can use the "-o" flag to get the exact match only. Are you bothered about retaining exact matches on the same line as one another? I am not sure looking at your example output as there are only 4 matches of "wo' not 5 as you have given.

Try this if you are not bothered about that:
Code:
tr ' ' '\n' < sample.log|grep wo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word in a xml file and print the out put

hi , i m having a html file and this file looks like this <ssl> <name>PIA</name> <enabled>true</enabled> <listen-port>39370</listen-port> </ssl> <log> <name>PIA</name> </log> <execute-queue> <name>weblogic.kernel.Default</name> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becksram123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search a file for a specific word in a file using shell script

Hi All, I have a sql output file has below. I want to get the values 200000040 and 1055.49 .Can anyone help me to write a shell script to get this. ACCOUNT_NO ------------------------------------------------------------ BILL_NO ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude specific word from input file problem asking...

Hi, Below is my input file and desired output file: Input file: >header_N_1 ASFDGDGNDGEGWETWRYWTETWNETOWETWETWNETTETNWET . . Desired output file: >header_N_1 ASFDGDGDGEGWETWRYWTETWETOWETWETWETTETWET . . From the input file, I just hope to exclude the 'N' word from its content... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a specific word from any one of the file.

how do i Search a specific word from any one of the file.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritusubash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word and print specific string using awk

Hi, I have list of directory paths in a variable and i want to delete those dirs and if dir does not exist then search that string and get the correct path from xml file after that delete the correct directory. i tried to use grep and it prints the entire line from the search.once i get the entire... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search-word-print-specific-string

Hi, Our input xml looks like: <doc> <str name="account_id">1111</str> <str name="prd_id">DHEP155EK</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str name="prd_id">394531662</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print the specific word in a file.

Hi , My input file is below like that :- $cat abc.txt Service name: test_taf Service is enabled Server pool: test_tac Cardinality: 2 Disconnect: false Service role: PRIMARY Management policy: AUTOMATIC DTP transaction: false AQ HA notifications: true Failover type: SESSION... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp001
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Search for a word and print the next word

Hi, I am trying to search for a word and print the next word. For example: My text is "<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure">" I am searching for "TYPE" and trying to print ="Lookup Procedure" I have written a code like following: echo $line | nawk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)