Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Untar fail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Untar fail Post 302938469 by kmanivan82 on Monday 16th of March 2015 08:01:04 PM
Old 03-16-2015
Untar fail

Hi Team,

I have a file named as follows: aaa.tar.gz

Now I need to verify if the untar fails, then the script has to send a mail. In order to check this condition, I need a tar.gz file which is unable to untar it. Can anyone help me to create a file which I will be able to unzip successfully but unable to untar.

We are working on AIX 6.1 Env.

Can anyone help me to fix this issue?

Thank you.

Last edited by rbatte1; 03-23-2015 at 02:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untar to different location

I have a tar file where the files have been tar'd along with the location of the file i.e /opt/abc/file.txt /opt/abc/file2.txt I am trying to untar this file on a different server where /opt/abc does not exist. How do I untar these files without the tar trying to create the structure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent....untar!!!

HI UNIX GURUS... I am facing the a similar problem which malaymaru has posted earlier raegarding untaring a file in some other specified directory.But the solution by UNIX DAEMON "Perderabo" seems little difficult to understand.(USING #pax -r -s '=^/opt/abc=/tmp=' < tarfile) So plz explain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul26
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar to a specified file

I have file1.tar and want to untar it under /server/file2. If I do tar -xvf file1.tar, the files will be deployed under file1. How to specify the destination folder?? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

6. AIX

untar

Hi, How can i untar a set of files in to different directory. This is content tar -tvf samba.tar drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 Nov 28 18:35:41 2008 samba/ -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/b.txt -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/c.txt -rw-r--r-- 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allwin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to untar file

Hello Experts, I have requirement in which a file is present in the folder_test. In that folder there is file called Test.tar.gz.20111102. Now my requirement is i have to rename this file to someother format and untar it.... folder_test Test.tar.gz.20111102 I am using the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to untar a file in HP UX!

Hi, I have been trying to untar this file hello.tar which consists of 3 files but nothing happens: eux750{root}# tar -xvf hello.tar x /hello, 8405 bytes, 17 tape blocks Why am I not able to see the untarred files.:wall: Thanks to help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terminator
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to untar the below file?

I need to extract the below file. could you please let me know how to extract by using unix command. manfucture.today.1678.tar.gz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
5 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)