Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to parse multiple conditions Post 302938459 by cmccabe on Monday 16th of March 2015 03:27:07 PM
Old 03-16-2015
I tried the below code on the file attached.

Code:
 echo 'del' | awk 'NR==2 {split($2,a,"[_.del]");b=substr(a[4],1,length(a[4]-1));print a[2]+0,b,b,substr(a[4],length(a[4])),a[-]}' OFS="\t" del_position.txt >del_parse.txt

awk: cmd. line:1: NR==2 {split($2,a,"[_.del]");b=substr(a[4],1,length(a[4]-1));print a[2]+0,b,b,substr(a[4],length(a[4])),a[-]}
awk: cmd. line:1:                                                                                                            ^ syntax error
awk: cmd. line:1: error: invalid subscript expression

Desired Output:
13 20763686 20763686 C -

Thank you Smilie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding multiple conditions

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. Can any one say what is wrong in this if statement, that uses multiple conditions if then *************** else if ( -z $pcs && "$night_time_calc" > "$night_time" ) then ******************************** ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssenthilkumar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

specifying multiple conditions in AWK

how can i specify more than 1 consition in the following AWK statament?? i.e. if $2 is ABCD and $3 is MNOP and $4 is KLPM similarly for OR #!/bin/ksh awk -F '' ' $2 == "ABCD" { print $2, $3;}' file.xml (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If + multiple conditions

Hello Unix-Forums! It has been a long time since my last post, but finally I've got a new question: I know in case you can use multiple patterns by case $var in a|b|c|ab) and so on. But how would I place an OR between if ] then ... if ] then ... I want to execute the "..." if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Filter a set of data to parse header line and last field of multiple same match.

Hi Experts, I have a data with multiple entry , I want to filter PKG= & the last column "00060110" or "00088150" in the output file: ############################################################################################### PKG= P8SDB :: VGS = vgP8SOra vgP8SDB1 vgP8S001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple search and if conditions

Hi I wanted to search for 2 patterns. These patterns are matched only if the if condition is matched for example: This is the kind of command that I have in mind which is obviously not correct: awk '/abc/ if ($1>10) {print);/xyz/ if ($2>5) {print)' myfile myfile: 12 14 3 20 45 abc 21 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Parse And Create Multiple Files Based on Field Value

Hello: I am working parsing a large input file which will be broken down into multiples based on the second field in the file, in this case: STORE. The idea is to create each file with the corresponding store number, for example: Report_$STORENUM_$DATETIMESTAMP , and obtaining the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ec012
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse multiple lines

What is the correct syntax to have the awk parse the next line as well? The next in bold is where I think it should go, but I wanted to ask the experts since I am a beginner. The file to be parsed is attached as well. Thank you :). awk 'NR==2 {split($2,a,"");b=substr(a,1,length(a-1));print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple conditions in IF

Fellas, Am new to unix os/ and here the situation , I am trying to write multiple condition statement inside if but it throws me a error here is my piece of code , if ] && ] && ] then commands fi error : line 15 : ` can someone please advise me how to fix it Please use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xeccc5z
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value of field using multiple conditions

In the below awk in the first step I default Classification NF-1 to VUS. Next, I am trying to change the value of Classification (NF) to whatever CLINSIG (NF-1) is. If there is only one condition everything works great, but if there are two conditions it does not work. Is the syntax used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple If conditions

I am analyzing one of the scripts written by another person.script is having multiple if conditions and everything are nested.The code is not formatted properly.Is there any way to identify in Unix to identify begin and end of a particular if block? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
6 Replies
bytes(3pm)                                               Perl Programmers Reference Guide                                               bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 bytes(3pm)