Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error Post 302938411 by admin_job_admin on Monday 16th of March 2015 02:40:03 AM
Old 03-16-2015
Display Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT
Linux: RHEL 6.4
Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs
Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015
I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis.

The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space.

I need a script that will run daily that will do 3 things:

1. Check the folder for uncompressed log files, compress them into a ZIP file
2. Delete the uncompressed log files after they are compressed
3. Check the folder & delete the ZIP log files that are OLDER than 6 months.
4. send mail for any error and successful

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for tar and zip based on month & year

Hi Friends, I'm doing on script which finds all the files with time stamp and makes them tar and zip, based on their respective month&year. for instance "mar-2004.tar.zip" will contain all the files which was created/accessed/modified on mar-2004. like this the entire filesystem should be taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuxfello
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach a file & send mail thru script

In shell script how can I attach a file and send a mail. suppose if I written like the following way usr/bin/mail 'subject" "mail_id" < file. a mail goes to the mail-id with the content of file.But I want the file to be atttached to the mail.How can I get it.is there any way for this. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mar1006
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes. I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with &amp; xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log file - Delete duplicate line & keep last date

Hello All ! I need your help on this case, I have a csv file with this: ITEM105;ARI FSR;2016-02-01 08:02;243 ITEM101;ARI FSR;2016-02-01 06:02;240 ITEM032;RNO TLE;2016-02-01 11:03;320 ITEM032;RNO TLE;2016-02-02 05:43;320 ITEM032;RNO TLE;2016-02-01 02:03;320 ITEM032;RNO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadim-bzh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
SCANLOGS(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						       SCANLOGS(8)

NAME
scanlogs - Summarize and rotate INN log files SYNOPSIS
scanlogs [norotate] DESCRIPTION
scanlogs summarizes the information recorded in the INN log files which reside in the pathlog directory set in inn.conf (see newslog(5) for further details about these log files). It is normally invoked by the news.daily(8) script which performs daily server maintenance tasks. It invokes "ctlinnd flushlogs" to close the news and error log files, rename them to add ".old" to the file names and open fresh news and error logs; the active file is also flushed to disk, along with the history database. By default, scanlogs rotates and cleans out the logs. It keeps up to logcycles old compressed log files in pathlog/OLD (the logcycles parameter can be set in inn.conf). scanlogs also keeps archives of the active file in this directory. It invokes tally.control if newgroup.log or rmgroup.log exists in pathlog (see the control.log entry of newslog(5) for more information about that). scanlogs displays the contents of errlog and news.crit, if non-empty, and runs innreport to summarize the contents of news and news.notice, and to update the unwanted.log file amongst other things (see more information about that in innreport(8)). OPTIONS
Only one option is currently accepted: norotate Using this option disables the rotating and cleaning aspect of the log processing: the logs files are only scanned for information and no contents are altered. If scanlogs is invoked more than once a day, the norotate option should be used to prevent premature log cleaning. FILES
See newslog(5) for the list of log files processed by scanlogs. HISTORY
Written by Landon Curt Noll <chongo@toad.com> and Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. $Id: scanlogs.pod 8357 2009-02-27 17:56:00Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), innreport(8), news.daily(8), newslog(5), shlock(1), tally.control(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 SCANLOGS(8)