Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using input from one file to define scope of other file in Linux Post 302938195 by Zooma on Thursday 12th of March 2015 11:26:44 PM
Old 03-13-2015
Hi Don,
Thanks for reaching out. Made the sample data like that for a simple printout, but I realize it wasn't smart Smilie. One decimal would be sufficient for all entries in the result file.

The packet delay variation (jitter) is obtained by first finding the max and min ping times for an IP address and then substract the min from the max. Ex: max=10, min=2, PDV=10-2=8.

The output doesn't have to be sorted. If I need that later I can fix it. If more than one row is required that's also fine. What I mainly want is to avoid writing/deleting files if possible.

Thanks!
Z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

define .rhost file for tape backup to remote host

howdy experts, i am using 2 server- Solaris 5.9 i have tape device attached with 1 of my solaris server. But others not. # modinfo|grep tape 152 13d43e4 1333c 33 1 st (SCSI tape Driver 1.231) now i want to Backup DATA file and System File in Tape Drive. How do I take data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in define cpu in Rules file

i try to install solaris OS in M4000 using OK prompts by boot net . in my rules file i define the cpus like below probe cpus probe networks networks 2 && cpus 8-10 && disksize c0t0d0 100000-292000 && disksize c0t1d0 100000-292000 && memsize 16384 && model SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neruppu
0 Replies

3. Programming

which head file define '_IO_*'

Under Solaris 10,I compile following file, #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/termios.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stddef.h> #include <string.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <signal.h> #define _IO_UNBUFFERED __SNBF... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to take input from file, match on it in file 2 and input data

All, I am trying to figure out a script to run in windows that will allow me to match on First column in file1 to 8th Column in File2 then Insert file1 column2 to file2 column4 then create a new file. File1: 12345 Sam 12346 Bob 12347 Bill File2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkoth
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to define input files more than 9

awk -v nfiles="10" { ......................... ............ }' $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 $10 up to9 inputs script is running fine but after that it is throwing error file not found though there is a file. I used {$10} but no use. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each certificate and send the mail to the user. The user takes action to add the new certificate to the storage file and user owns the responsibility to update the input text file with the new certificate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: casmo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passwd file define user with special character

Hi all , The FTP user defind in my passwd file has ! in the hash password field and i want to know way is that its usually either MD5(Unix) hash or * can anyone explain to me i'm new for unix and want to learn this how my passwd file looks : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahash11
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
popen(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  popen(3)

Name
       popen, pclose - initiate I/O to/from a process

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *popen(command, type)
       char *command, *type;

pclose(stream)
       FILE *stream;

Description
       The arguments to are pointers to null-terminated strings containing respectively a shell command line and an I/O mode, either "r" for read-
       ing or "w" for writing.	It creates a pipe between the calling process and the command to be executed.  The  value  returned  is  a  stream
       pointer that can be used (as appropriate) to write to the standard input of the command or read from its standard output.

A stream opened by should be closed by which waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command.

Because open files are shared, a type "r" command may be used as an input filter, and a type "w" as an output filter.

Diagnostics
       The routine returns a null pointer if files or processes cannot be created, or the shell cannot be accessed.

The routine returns -1 if stream is not associated with a `popened' command.

Restrictions
       Buffered reading before opening an input filter may leave the standard input of that filter mispositioned.  Similar problems with an output
       filter may be forestalled by careful buffer flushing, for instance, with For further information, see

The routine always calls and never calls

See Also
       sh(1), pipe(2), wait(2), system(3), fclose(3s), fopen(3s)

popen(3)