Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Test -e not working as expected (by me) Post 302938169 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 12th of March 2015 03:43:43 PM
Old 03-12-2015
I did some tracings.
Indeed test -L does an lstat() i.e. does not try to follow a symlink.
test -e does either a stat() or an access() i.e. follows a symlink and a symlink's symlink... This is meant with "resolve".
In order to test for anything, you need test -L "$file" || test -e "$file".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test:argument expected

Hi all, I am getting "test:argument expected" error in the following script LOGDIR=$XXAR_TOP/log PROGRAM_NAME=XXAR_GPS_LBFDMSGEN .. .. .. Check_Errors() { sqllogfile=$1 cd ${LOGDIR} countfile=${LOGDIR}/${PROGRAM_NAME}.tmp echo "countfile is " $countfile >> $LOGFILE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: argument expected

Can someone help me with a very simple query I have the following script: #!/bin/sh VAR1="" if then VAR1="Message" fi echo $VAR1 put when i run it i get the following error test_job.sh: test: argument expected (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy202
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm newbie to coding script so i found test: argument expected when i run it. please help me a=`df -k |awk '{print $5 }'|egrep "(100%|%)"|cut -d"%" -f1|tail -1` if then df -k|egrep "(100%|%)"|awk '{print $1,$5,$6}' else echo "No disk capacity more than 80%" fi thk in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

+ test.sh: test: argument expected #!/bin/bash if then echo thennnn else echo elseeee fi why does it show this error? Clearly from debug mode, the argument is passed. I also tried if Run on Solaris 9. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab test argument expected

Hello folks, I've got this script which runs perfectly when i run it manually. But when i am running it from a crontab i am getting an error saying test argument expected. The line from where it is coming is something like this: if then do something fi Any idea why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected.

Hi, Since i am new to Unix and on suggestion on some smart guys on unix... i have decide to learn more deeply on Unix...so i was kind of playing with if statements and found this error... though i tried to correct is for hours now i couldnt find whats wrong in my loop. if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

# to search a file if it exists and whether its readable or not # if yes print its first 5 lines echo enter the filename to be searched read fname if #-d $fname then echo file doesn exists elif then echo its a directory elif then cat $fname else echo its not readable fi # end of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

error : test: argument expected

Hello all, I am trying to figure out why i am getting an error while executing the script...altought it seems like its work...but still get the test arguement error...any help would be appericiate...this script basically connects to any oracle db ( just have to pass db name to it)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error- test: argument expected

check_build_info_table() { if then export build_info_table=`sqlplus -s sna/dbmanager <<! set pagesize 0 heading off feedback off SELECT DISTINCT TABLE_NAME FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE OWNER = 'XYZ' AND TABLE_NAME = 'MY_TABLE'; exit !` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected

The following example prompts are passed into the shell script. $1 = /tmp/dir/ $2 = varies (test.txt, test1.txt, test2.txt...) $3 = test_YYYYMMDD.txt --------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh cd $1 if ; then if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
3 Replies
Test::Object(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Object(3pm)

NAME
Test::Object - Thoroughly testing objects via registered handlers SYNOPSIS
################################################################### # In your test module, register test handlers again class names # ################################################################### package My::ModuleTester; use Test::More; use Test::Object; # Foo::Bar is a subclass of Foo Test::Object->register( class => 'Foo', tests => 5, code => &foo_ok, ); Test::Object->register( class => 'Foo::Bar', # No fixed number of tests code => &foobar_ok, ); sub foo_ok { my $object = shift; ok( $object->foo, '->foo returns true' ); } sub foobar_ok { my $object = shift; is( $object->foo, 'bar', '->foo returns "bar"' ); } 1; ################################################################### # In test script, test object against all registered classes # ################################################################### #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Test::More 'no_plan'; use Test::Object; use My::ModuleTester; my $object = Foo::Bar->new; isa_ok( $object, 'Foo::Bar' ); object_ok( $object ); DESCRIPTION
In situations where you have deep trees of classes, there is a common situation in which you test a module 4 or 5 subclasses down, which should follow the correct behaviour of not just the subclass, but of all the parent classes. This should be done to ensure that the implementation of a subclass has not somehow "broken" the object's behaviour in a more general sense. "Test::Object" is a testing package designed to allow you to easily test what you believe is a valid object against the expected behaviour of all of the classes in its inheritance tree in one single call. To do this, you "register" tests (in the form of CODE or function references) with "Test::Object", with each test associated with a partic- ular class. When you call "object_ok" in your test script, "Test::Object" will check the object against all registered tests. For each class that your object responds to "$object->isa($class)" for, the appropriate testing function will be called. Doing it this way allows adapter objects and other things that respond to "isa" differently that the default to still be tested against the classes that it is advertising itself as correctly. This also means that more than one test might be "counted" for each call to "object_ok". You should account for this correctly in your expected test count. SUPPORT
Bugs should be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker, located at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Object> For other issues, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <cpan@ali.as> SEE ALSO
<http://ali.as/>, Test::More, Test::Builder::Tester, Test::Class COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005, 2006 Adam Kennedy. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.8.8 2006-09-06 Test::Object(3pm)