Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Test -e not working as expected (by me) Post 302938046 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 11th of March 2015 01:37:34 PM
Old 03-11-2015
I suppose it all depends on your definition of what is a file in "resolves to a file". Does it mean a file being with content and just a plain regular file, or does it mean any entity within a directory. How about a directory even? That does seem to be considered as a file.

It should be that everything is a file, but the word resolves perhaps covers the symbolic link issue that's being illustrated.

All very wordy stuff. I bet a lawyer would love it.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test:argument expected

Hi all, I am getting "test:argument expected" error in the following script LOGDIR=$XXAR_TOP/log PROGRAM_NAME=XXAR_GPS_LBFDMSGEN .. .. .. Check_Errors() { sqllogfile=$1 cd ${LOGDIR} countfile=${LOGDIR}/${PROGRAM_NAME}.tmp echo "countfile is " $countfile >> $LOGFILE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: argument expected

Can someone help me with a very simple query I have the following script: #!/bin/sh VAR1="" if then VAR1="Message" fi echo $VAR1 put when i run it i get the following error test_job.sh: test: argument expected (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy202
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm newbie to coding script so i found test: argument expected when i run it. please help me a=`df -k |awk '{print $5 }'|egrep "(100%|%)"|cut -d"%" -f1|tail -1` if then df -k|egrep "(100%|%)"|awk '{print $1,$5,$6}' else echo "No disk capacity more than 80%" fi thk in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

+ test.sh: test: argument expected #!/bin/bash if then echo thennnn else echo elseeee fi why does it show this error? Clearly from debug mode, the argument is passed. I also tried if Run on Solaris 9. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab test argument expected

Hello folks, I've got this script which runs perfectly when i run it manually. But when i am running it from a crontab i am getting an error saying test argument expected. The line from where it is coming is something like this: if then do something fi Any idea why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected.

Hi, Since i am new to Unix and on suggestion on some smart guys on unix... i have decide to learn more deeply on Unix...so i was kind of playing with if statements and found this error... though i tried to correct is for hours now i couldnt find whats wrong in my loop. if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

# to search a file if it exists and whether its readable or not # if yes print its first 5 lines echo enter the filename to be searched read fname if #-d $fname then echo file doesn exists elif then echo its a directory elif then cat $fname else echo its not readable fi # end of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

error : test: argument expected

Hello all, I am trying to figure out why i am getting an error while executing the script...altought it seems like its work...but still get the test arguement error...any help would be appericiate...this script basically connects to any oracle db ( just have to pass db name to it)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error- test: argument expected

check_build_info_table() { if then export build_info_table=`sqlplus -s sna/dbmanager <<! set pagesize 0 heading off feedback off SELECT DISTINCT TABLE_NAME FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE OWNER = 'XYZ' AND TABLE_NAME = 'MY_TABLE'; exit !` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected

The following example prompts are passed into the shell script. $1 = /tmp/dir/ $2 = varies (test.txt, test1.txt, test2.txt...) $3 = test_YYYYMMDD.txt --------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh cd $1 if ; then if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
3 Replies
resolvepath(2)                                                     System Calls                                                     resolvepath(2)

NAME
resolvepath - resolve all symbolic links of a path name SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int resolvepath(const char *path, char *buf, size_t bufsiz); DESCRIPTION
The resolvepath() function fully resolves all symbolic links in the path name path into a resulting path name free of symbolic links and places the resulting path name in the buffer buf which has size bufsiz. The resulting path name names the same file or directory as the original path name. All ``.'' components are eliminated and every non-leading ``..'' component is eliminated together with its preceding directory component. If leading ``..'' components reach to the root directory, they are replaced by ``/''. If the number of bytes in the resulting path name is less than bufsiz, the contents of the remainder of buf are unspecified. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, resolvepath() returns the count of bytes placed in the buffer. Otherwise, it returns -1, leaves the buffer unchanged, and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The resolvepath() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix of path or for a path prefix component resulting from the resolution of a symbolic link. EFAULT The path or buf argument points to an illegal address. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from the file system. ENOENT The path argument is an empty string or a component of path or a path name component produced by resolving a sym- bolic link does not name an existing file. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of path exceeds PATH_MAX, or a path name component is longer than NAME_MAX. Path name resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result whose length exceeds PATH_MAX or a component whose length exceeds NAME_MAX. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix of path or of a path prefix component resulting from the resolution of a symbolic link is not a directory. USAGE
No more than PATH_MAX bytes will be placed in the buffer. Applications should not assume that the returned contents of the buffer are null- terminated. SEE ALSO
readlink(2), realpath(3C) SunOS 5.10 12 May 1997 resolvepath(2)