Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search file and print everything except multiple search terms Post 302937744 by Don Cragun on Sunday 8th of March 2015 09:46:53 PM
Old 03-08-2015
Are you trying to remove these words from your input files? Try:
Code:
sed 's/ca01[[:lower:]]*0[1-4]//' input_file

Can more than one of these words appear on a line? Try:
Code:
sed 's/ca01[[:lower:]]*0[1-4]//g' input_file

Or are you trying to delete lines that contain these words? Try:
Code:
sed '/ca01[[:lower:]]*0[1-4]/d' input_file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a large file with a list of terms in another file

Hi- I am trying to search a large file with a number of different search terms that are listed one per line in 3 different files. Most importantly I need to be able to do a case insensitive search. I have tried just using egrep -f but it doesn't seam to be able to handle the -i option when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougzilla
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Multiple search patterns & print in an one liner

I would like to print result of multiple search pattern invoked from an one liner. The code looks like this but won't work gawk -F '{{if ($0 ~ /pattern1/) pat1=$1 && if ($0 ~ /pattern2/) pat2=$2} ; print pat1, pat2}' Can anybody help getting the right code? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and print a certain number in a file

Hi, I have a file that contains strings and numbers. I want to search for a particular string and then print out the numbers next to this string. For example the file looks like in the file I want to search for the line AFUE 0. AOXI 0. VFUE 600. VOXI 1573.241 TFUE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple search terms with context

I have a file that is a sort library in the format: ##def title1 content1 stuff1 content2 stuff2 ##enddef ##def title2 etc.. I want to grep def and content and pull some trailing context from content so the result would look something like: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moe.Wilensky
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between two search strings and print the value

Based on the forums i have tried with grep command but i am unable to get the required output. search this value /*------ If that is found then search for temp_vul and print and also search until /*------- and print new_vul Input file contains: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - the GNOME Search Tool SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [options] or select Search for Files... from a Main Menu or from the Places menu in a Menu Bar DESCRIPTION
GNOME Search Tool is a utility for finding files on your system. To perform a basic search, you can type a filename or a partial filename, with or without wildcards. To refine your search, you can apply additional search options. GNOME Search Tool uses the find, grep, and locate UNIX commands. The case sensitivity of the search depends on your operating system. For example, on Linux, the find, grep, and locate commands support the -i option, so all searches are case-insensitive. For full documentation see the GNOME Search Tool online help. OPTIONS
--help Show help message --named=STRING Set the text of "Name contains" search option --path=PATH Set the text of "Look in folder" search option --sortby=VALUE Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date --descending Set sort order to descending, the default is ascending --start Automatically start a search --contains=STRING Select and set the "Contains the text" search option --mtimeless=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified less than" search option --mtimemore=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified more than" search option --sizemore=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at least" search option --sizeless=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at most" search option --empty Select the "File is empty" search option --user=USER Select and set the "Owned by user" search option --group=GROUP Select and set the "Owned by group" search option --nouser Select the "Owner is unrecognized" search option --notnamed=STRING Select and set the "Name does not contain" search option --regex=PATTERN Select and set the "Name matches regular expression" search option --hidden Select the "Show hidden and backup files" search option --follow Select the "Follow symbolic links" search option --mounts Select the "Exclude other filesystems" search option AUTHOR
GNOME Search Tool was originally written by George Lebl (<jirka@5z.com>). Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). This manual page was originally written by Jochen Voss <voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>. Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), grep(1) gnome-utils 2.27.1 March 16 2009 gnome-search-tool(1)