Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System call oddity
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting System call oddity Post 302937686 by beomagi on Saturday 7th of March 2015 07:14:37 PM
Old 03-07-2015
Code System call oddity

Hi all, I'm trying to use bash to create a basic parser for some text, because basic grep/sed/awk have all my needs covered.

So, I'm creating the chain of grep/sed I need and trying the execute that on the data I gather.

The problem is, it's not working as it does when hardcoded.

e.g.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
##a b c
##a b d
##a "b" x
##a p "b"

me=$0
data=`cat $0`
func1="grep 'a b'"
func2="grep ^##"
func3="grep ## | grep b"
echo "$data" | grep 'a b'
#echo "$data" | $func1

So, the last two lines should be the same.

using the 2nd to last line with grep 'a b'
Code:
beomagi@VBMagi ~ $ ./test.sh 
##a b c
##a b d
func1="grep 'a b'"
echo "$data" | grep 'a b'

using the variable for grep 'a b'
Code:
grep: b': No such file or directory

But variables work in the case of the $func2 variable in my test script.
Code:
##a b c
##a b d
##a "b" x
##a p "b"

So what's the deal? I have text in a variable, and want to filter it using a string of grep/sed/awk - but once there's any spaces or quotes in my filter's variable, it breaks.

Ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

semclt system call ???

hi mates, What is the : semctl system call for? any example will be helpful and be appreciated. cya and thanx abdul (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

4. Linux

system call problem

hi, where can I find the detail information about the syscall in binary instructions of linux/mips. for example, in linux/mips: li v0, 4140 syscall it's a syacall of "lseek" , but how can I find that which registers will be used in this syscall , and the meaning of the arguments in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

6. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

7. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

8. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies

10. Programming

Bind system call

We are calling the bind system call as below bind(sfd, (struct sockaddr *) &addr, sizeof(struct sockaddr_un));Why there is difference in third parameter getting the sizeof as "struct sockaddr_un", wherein the 2nd parametere we are passing it as "(struct sockaddr *)"? Regards, Sajjan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
2 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZGREP(1)