Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to change password using root user Post 302937342 by Anusha M on Thursday 5th of March 2015 06:33:34 AM
Old 03-05-2015
Hi RudiC,

I didn't get any errors. It said as below

passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

How to check if the user is locked.

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:30 AM ----------

Hi RudiC,

The user is not locked.

Code:
passwd -S mqm
mqm PS 2015-03-04 1 90 14 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.)

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to change user password from nis client

I trying to change the user1 passwd from NIS client i.e #passwd -r nis user1 Enter user1's password; Can I change the password without having to enter user password? Mnay Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unable to change root password

Hi, Some how my root password expired for my hp_ux 10.20 machine and when i tried to change the password it displays file system full error how to resolve this issue At first it accepts newpassword and while saving it some where the problem is..... I am logging as root ........ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable To Change a User's Password

I am trying to change a user's Password, but I get the error "Password Cannot be changed; see account Administrator". Yet I am logged in as root. I also cannot access the Accounts Manager facility when SCO when using System Administration screen Error "Unable to get initial list of users" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to change password for a user.

I am getting the following error message "passwd: User unknown: username" Permission denied error message when trying to change the password for that given user account. The user account is within the /etc/passwd file and I can also su to the account without any problems. This is sever is not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eckmanb
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to change the root password?

I tried to change the root password. but it shows the following error. passwd: Authentication token manipulation error passwd: password unchanged If I login as a normal user that time I'm able to change my (user) password. If I login as a ROOT then I'm not able to change the password root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
6 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS