Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to change password using root user Post 302937342 by Anusha M on Thursday 5th of March 2015 06:33:34 AM
Old 03-05-2015
Hi RudiC,

I didn't get any errors. It said as below

passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

How to check if the user is locked.

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:30 AM ----------

Hi RudiC,

The user is not locked.

Code:
passwd -S mqm
mqm PS 2015-03-04 1 90 14 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.)

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to change user password from nis client

I trying to change the user1 passwd from NIS client i.e #passwd -r nis user1 Enter user1's password; Can I change the password without having to enter user password? Mnay Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unable to change root password

Hi, Some how my root password expired for my hp_ux 10.20 machine and when i tried to change the password it displays file system full error how to resolve this issue At first it accepts newpassword and while saving it some where the problem is..... I am logging as root ........ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable To Change a User's Password

I am trying to change a user's Password, but I get the error "Password Cannot be changed; see account Administrator". Yet I am logged in as root. I also cannot access the Accounts Manager facility when SCO when using System Administration screen Error "Unable to get initial list of users" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to change password for a user.

I am getting the following error message "passwd: User unknown: username" Permission denied error message when trying to change the password for that given user account. The user account is within the /etc/passwd file and I can also su to the account without any problems. This is sever is not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eckmanb
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to change the root password?

I tried to change the root password. but it shows the following error. passwd: Authentication token manipulation error passwd: password unchanged If I login as a normal user that time I'm able to change my (user) password. If I login as a ROOT then I'm not able to change the password root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
6 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)

NAME
pam_chauthtok - updating authentication tokens SYNOPSIS
#include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_chauthtok(pam_handle_t *pamh, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The pam_chauthtok function is used to change the authentication token for a given user (as indicated by the state associated with the handle pamh). The pamh argument is an authentication handle obtained by a prior call to pam_start(). The flags argument is the binary or of zero or more of the following values: PAM_SILENT Do not emit any messages. PAM_CHANGE_EXPIRED_AUTHTOK This argument indicates to the modules that the users authentication token (password) should only be changed if it has expired. If this argument is not passed, the application requires that all authentication tokens are to be changed. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR A module was unable to obtain the new authentication token. PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR A module was unable to obtain the old authentication token. PAM_AUTHTOK_LOCK_BUSY One or more of the modules was unable to change the authentication token since it is currently locked. PAM_AUTHTOK_DISABLE_AGING Authentication token aging has been disabled for at least one of the modules. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. PAM_SUCCESS The authentication token was successfully updated. PAM_TRY_AGAIN Not all of the modules were in a position to update the authentication token(s). In such a case none of the user's authentication tokens are updated. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User unknown to password service. SEE ALSO
pam_start(3), pam_authenticate(3), pam_setcred(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_strerror(3), pam(7) Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)