Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - remove space and . for a pattern Post 302937284 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 4th of March 2015 05:44:36 PM
Old 03-04-2015
This one works with your example:
Code:
sed 's/ \([0-9][0-9]*\)\./\1/g' file

---------- Post updated at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:36 PM ----------

This one works according to your description:
Code:
sed 's/^/|/; s/$/|/; s/| \([0-9][0-9]*\)\.|/|\1|/g; s/^|//; s/|$//' file

It treats the following example line differently:
Code:
A|965|Mr. 90.|35.45|66

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove everything up to the pattern

I have been search all over the internet to find a solution to this. I have a file that looks like: -a ItemConfig.custom=true -a Config.custom=true go -t malu -t Use=true I want to get "malu" as output, and the werid thing is the blank before go is neither space nor tab. what's the sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space in sed for / character

Hi... i need a script to remove the space before and after the operator like( / ). Ex : Input file apple / manago mango / fresh apple / fresh Desired output: apple/manago mango/fresh apple/fresh Note: betwee the desired operator space should be removed, between words do not remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth_vadalur
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate pattern space (sed)

Hi, I'm new to sed and i'm having a few difficulties.. I need to append the current line to the pattern space, which already contains that same line, e.g.: current line : test pattern space : test|test I was able to do this using the hold space, but the problem is that in the next step of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delucasvb
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern and hold space issues

Good day. Trying to make a sed script to take text file in a certain format and turn it into mostly formatted html. I'm 95% there but this last bit is hurting my head finally. Here's a portion of the text- Budgeting and Debt: Consumer Credit Counseling of Western PA CareerLink 112... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiendracer
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed pattern space/looping conundrum

Although my sed skills are gradually developing, thanks in large part to this forum, I'm having a hard time dealing with pattern space and looping, which I suspect is what I'll need a better handle on to figure out my current issue, which is converting a multi line file like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space and new line from a file using sed?

i am using the default sed package that comes with solaris. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove space with sed

Hello Folks , myfile contains 1000000 records as follows: logver=56 idseq=63256 itime=1111 devid=TG-40 devname=PUI-C2 vd=USER date=2019_01_10 time=18:39:49 logid="000013" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" eventtime=134 srcip=1.1.1.1 srcport=1 srcintf="XYX-CORE.01"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)