Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - find first occurence and replace it Post 302937250 by cool.aquarian on Wednesday 4th of March 2015 11:59:49 AM
Old 03-04-2015
Power awk - find first occurence and replace it

Hello,

I have a requirement to replace the whole string with first occurence of value of a key-value pair.

I have to do this inside awk, as the data I need to work is inside an awk loop.

value of my variable(say LogText) looks like:
LogText=
Code:
date=04Mar message=hello1 name=caq message=hello2 address=abc message=hello3 city=xyz

I need to extract value of first occurence of message (ie.., hello1) into a new variable

I am using the function gensub inside awk to do this. I have tried:

Code:
awk -v LogText="$Log_Text" '{ 
MSG_VALUE=gensub(/^.*message=([A-Za-z0-9]+).*$/,"\\1", 1,LogText); 
print MSG_VALUE
}'

But this is always storing the value of last occurence of message(=hello3) into MSG_VALUE.

I have also tried negative lookaback:
Code:
MSG_VALUE=gensub(/^.*(?!<message).*message=([A-Za-z0-9]+).*$/,"\\1", 1,LogText);

Maybe something wrong here, it fails to match any part of string.

Could anyone help?
I've spent quite a few hours to figure this out and searching on the web before posting here.

Thanks,
CaQ

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find/replace

Greetings all. I have web site that has long option and switch lists. When I insert something new into these files, the lists need to be reordered. IE: 1 => apple 2 => pear 3 => bannana 4 => orange --------------------- Add grape as #2 1 => apple 2 => grape 3 => pear 4 =>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help to do conditional find and replace

Hi, I have a Line input for awk as follows DROP MATERIALIZED VIEW MCR.COMM_STACK; CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW "MCR"."COMM_STACK" ON PREBUILT TABLE WITHOUT REDUCED PRECISION USING INDEX REFRESH FAST ON DEMAND START WITH sysdate+0 NEXT SYSDATE + 7 WITH PRIMARY KEY USING DEFAULT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple find and replace with AWK

I am trying to write a find and replace script with AWK and I can't seem to get it to work. I need it to find this exact string *P*: and replace the P with a T or just replcare the whole thing with *T*:. this is what I have tried awk 'BEGIN {gsub(/\*P*:/,"\*T*:"); print}' ${INFILE} >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbshrk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace matching nth occurence

Hi for eg my file has: val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | here i need to replace '|' with '|\n' where the occurence of '|' is divisble by 2 so that the output comes like this val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | Requesting suggestions in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav288
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk -Find and Replace

All, I have thousands of lines in a file with following format DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_ DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_ DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_ I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_) So that out put should looks like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in awk

Friends, I have more the thousand lines like this. check.cloud1.port=342 check.cloud2.port=5456 check.cloud3.port-4564 But we need to transfer it to _CHECK.CLOUD1.PORT_=342 _CHECK.CLOUD2.PORT_=5456 _CHECK.CLOUD3.PORT_=4564 Any one could pls help of this. Thanks in Advance ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find fields and replace using awk

Code: Using ksh Var1=`awk -F";" {print $1}' Input2.txt` cat Input1.txt | awk -F";" '{$3="Var1"}' > Output.txt (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace second to last but one consecutive occurence

Hi Unix Mates, I have requirement where in which I have to replace second to last -1 occurence of space with a word and last occurence of a space with a word and a space,input would be a file. Desired result: Second consecutive to last-1 occurence of space replace with: HRU LAST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in awk

I have a file that I am trying to find a specific word, then replace text within that string. file TestA2015 TestB2016 Example. Replace TestB2016 to TestB0000, so if TestB is found replace the original "2016" to "0000". Thank you :). awk tried awk '{ sub(/TestB$/, "0000", $6) }1'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
FindRef(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FindRef(3pm)

NAME
Devel::FindRef - where is that reference to my variable hiding? SYNOPSIS
use Devel::FindRef; print Devel::FindRef::track $some_variable; DESCRIPTION
Tracking down reference problems (e.g. you expect some object to be destroyed, but there are still references to it that keep it alive) can be very hard. Fortunately, perl keeps track of all its values, so tracking references "backwards" is usually possible. The "track" function can help track down some of those references back to the variables containing them. For example, for this fragment: package Test; use Devel::FindRef; use Scalar::Util; our $var = "hi "; my $global_my = $var; our %global_hash = (ukukey => $var); our $global_hashref = { ukukey2 => $var }; sub testsub { my $testsub_local = $global_hashref; print Devel::FindRef::track $var; } my $closure = sub { my $closure_var = $_[0]; Scalar::Util::weaken (my $weak_ref = $var); testsub; }; $closure->($var); The output is as follows (or similar to this, in case I forget to update the manpage after some changes): SCALAR(0x7cc888) [refcount 6] is +- referenced by REF(0x8abcc8) [refcount 1], which is | in the lexical '$closure_var' in CODE(0x8abc50) [refcount 4], which is | +- the closure created at tst:18. | +- referenced by REF(0x7d3c58) [refcount 1], which is | | in the lexical '$closure' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which is | | +- the containing scope for CODE(0x8ab430) [refcount 3], which is | | | in the global &Test::testsub. | | +- the main body of the program. | +- in the lexical '&' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which was seen before. +- referenced by REF(0x7cc7c8) [refcount 1], which is | in the lexical '$global_my' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which was seen before. +- in the global $Test::var. +- referenced by REF(0x7cc558) [refcount 1], which is | in the member 'ukukey2' of HASH(0x7ae140) [refcount 2], which is | +- referenced by REF(0x8abad0) [refcount 1], which is | | in the lexical '$testsub_local' in CODE(0x8ab430) [refcount 3], which was seen before. | +- referenced by REF(0x8ab4f0) [refcount 1], which is | in the global $Test::global_hashref. +- referenced by REF(0x7ae518) [refcount 1], which is | in the member 'ukukey' of HASH(0x7d3bb0) [refcount 1], which is | in the global %Test::global_hash. +- referenced by REF(0x7ae2f0) [refcount 1], which is a temporary on the stack. It is a bit convoluted to read, but basically it says that the value stored in $var is referenced by: - the lexical $closure_var(0x8abcc8), which is inside an instantiated closure, which in turn is used quite a bit. - the package-level lexical $global_my. - the global package variable named $Test::var. - the hash element "ukukey2", in the hash in the my variable $testsub_local in the sub "Test::testsub" and also in the hash "$referenced by Test::hash2". - the hash element with key "ukukey" in the hash stored in %Test::hash. - some anonymous mortalised reference on the stack (which is caused by calling "track" with the expression "$var", which creates the reference). And all these account for six reference counts. EXPORTS
None. FUNCTIONS
$string = Devel::FindRef::track $ref[, $depth] Track the perl value pointed to by $ref up to a depth of $depth and return a descriptive string. $ref can point at any perl value, be it anonymous sub, hash, array, scalar etc. This is the function you most often use. @references = Devel::FindRef::find $ref Return arrayrefs that contain [$message, $ref] pairs. The message describes what kind of reference was found and the $ref is the reference itself, which can be omitted if "find" decided to end the search. The returned references are all weak references. The "track" function uses this to find references to the value you are interested in and recurses on the returned references. $ref = Devel::FindRef::ptr2ref $integer Sometimes you know (from debugging output) the address of a perl scalar you are interested in (e.g. "HASH(0x176ff70)"). This function can be used to turn the address into a reference to that scalar. It is quite safe to call on valid addresses, but extremely dangerous to call on invalid ones. # we know that HASH(0x176ff70) exists, so turn it into a hashref: my $ref_to_hash = Devel::FindRef::ptr2ref 0x176ff70; $ref = Devel::FindRef::ref2ptr $reference The opposite of "ptr2ref", above: returns the internal address of the value pointed to by the passed reference. No checks whatsoever will be done, so don't use this. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
You can set the environment variable "PERL_DEVEL_FINDREF_DEPTH" to an integer to override the default depth in "track". If a call explicitly specified a depth it is not overridden. AUTHOR
Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007, 2008 by Marc Lehmann. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2009-08-30 FindRef(3pm)