Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make Post 302937071 by Pufo on Tuesday 3rd of March 2015 09:57:19 AM
Old 03-03-2015
Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile:
Code:
mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh)

When i do: make clean - the script is executed

When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output:
Code:
make: Nothing to be done for mytag

What i want ?
I want script.sh to be executed only when i perform make mytag

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:00 AM ----------

default tag was missing from my Makefile, and i've put
Code:
mytag: 
	$(shell ${PWD}/script.sh)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by Don Cragun; 03-03-2015 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Fix CODE and ICODE tags, and change spaces to a tab in Makefile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] getopts not executing when called second time.

Hi, Unexpectedly, the function below doesn't seem to work when called a second time. The output shows that when the function is called the first time, it works as expected but when it is called a second time, the loop that processes the options passed to the function, with the while loop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call makefile from shell script

I'm writing a VERY simple shell script. I need to call a makefile in a subdirectory. What's the command I need to use? ./dir/make and ./dir/makefile doesn't work. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamahabob
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to make makefile

How do we create a shell script that creates a makefile? what if we want to use the #include header files too? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslokhan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a Perl script within a bash script and store the ouput in a .txt file

I'm attempting to write a bash script that will create a network between virtual machines. It accepts three arguments: an RSpec that describes the network topology, and two list of machines (servers and clients). I have a (working) Perl script that I want to call. This Perl script takes an RSpec... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecaka
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call .sh file from makefile.am?

in this bin_SCRIPTS = doEcho.sh this command is not working, $(shell ./doEcho.sh ) this is also not working then how to execute it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanth007
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk call in bash function called with arugments not working, something lost in translation?

Hello, I have this awk code in a bash script to perform a find and replace task. This finds one unique line in a file and substitutes the found line with a replacement. #! /bin/bash # value determined elsewhere total_outputs_p1=100 # file being modified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)