Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script monitor directory and subdirectories for new pdfs Post 302936932 by markus1981 on Monday 2nd of March 2015 06:06:54 AM
Old 03-02-2015
I copied your commands to Webmin command shell, when I tried it, no mistype I think. OS is Ubuntu Server 14.04.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hep with script to monitor directory

Hello, I am a newbie who is attempting to write a script to monitor a directory for a set of 3 files that I am expecting to get ftp'd. Occasionally, we suspend operations for maintenance etc. but we still get the files so there can be more than 1 set. If there is more than 1 set, I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmf00186
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor directory

What is the best way for a script to run to monitor a directory for the presence of files and then perform a function afterwords? I was hoping to have it continually run and sleep until it detects that files are present in the directory, then break out of the loop and go on to the next step. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulinux
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor files in a directory and sending the alert

Hi All, We are having important config files in an directory which was accessable by all /auto/config/Testbed/>ls config1.intial config2.intial config3.inital often we find that some of the lines are missing in config files, we doubt if some one is removing. I would like to write... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn/bash Script to monitor a file a check for specific data

Hi, Im trying to write this script but im stuck on it, basicaly what i want to do is to write a code to verify a log file ( apache log file for example ) and for each new line with specific data , then, output this new line for another file: full ex: output of the server.log is (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with little bash server monitor script

hello, i`m new in bash scripting and i getting an error with my little server monitoring script example of my script: #!/bin/sh s1_ats=0 while ; do sleep 5 s1=`ping -c 1 xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx | grep 64 | awk '{print $1}'` if ; then $s1_ats=0 else if ; then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grauzikas
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Compress All Subdirectories

I'd like to create simple bash script that, given a directory, compresses each directory by name, e.g.: Contents of ~/Documents Folder1 Folder2 Folder3 compress-subdirectoies.sh ~/Documents Results: Folder1. Folder2. Folder2. Any advice would be appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: furashgf
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create new directory by date followed by identifier and additional subdirectories

I have a bash that downloads a list and if that list has data in it then a new main directory is created (with the date) with several subdirectories (example1, example2, example3). My question is in that list there are portion of specific file types (.vcf.gz) - identifier towards the end that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)					       AFS Command Reference					     BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)

NAME
backup_interactive - Enters interactive mode SYNOPSIS
backup [interactive] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup [i] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup interactive initiates an interactive session for issuing backup commands. As indicated in the syntax statement, the operation code (interactive) is optional. Several features of interactive mode distinguish it from regular mode: o In interactive mode, the "backup"> prompt replaces the system (shell) prompt. The operator enters only a command's operation code (omitting the command suite name, backup). o If the -localauth flag or the -cell argument is included on the backup interactive command, the settings apply to all commands issued during that interactive session. The issuer does not need to type them on every command. Another consequence is that the flag and argument do not appear in the syntax statement generated by the help subcommand or -help flag on an individual command issued at the "backup"> prompt. o The backup jobs and backup kill commands are available only in interactive mode. It is not possible to track and terminate backup operations as cleanly in non-interactive mode. o It is not necessary to enclose strings that include metacharacters in double quotes or other delimiters. o The backup command interpreter establishes a connection to the Backup Server, Volume Server and Volume Location (VL) Server processes as it enters interactive mode, and uses the same connection for all commands during the session. Execution time can therefore be faster than in non-interactive mode, in which the command interpreter must establish a new connection for each command. To exit an interactive session, issue the backup quit command. OPTIONS
-localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how the -localauth flag and -cell argument do not appear when the help dump subcommand is issued in interactive mode. % backup backup> help dump dump: start dump Usage: dump [-volumeset <volume set name>] [-dump <dump level name>] [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-at <Date/time to start dump>+] [-append ] [-n ] [-file <load file>] [-help ] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None. However, backup commands that require privilege in regular mode still require it in interactive mode. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_jobs(8), backup_kill(8), backup_quit(8), butc(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)