Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap space (almost) full
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Swap space (almost) full Post 302936845 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 28th of February 2015 10:38:10 AM
Old 02-28-2015
Are you running oracle? The SGA is created then swap of the same size is allocated. There is never any swapping activity once the SGA's are created. To allow other processes and oracle to get what they need, we created 500GB of swap - on a machine with 256 GB memory. Many applications do this. The only workaround is to add swap because of badly behaved processes. In this particular scenario.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SWAP SPACE

All, I am using SOLARIS 7. I have formated my hard drive to consist of only 150MB of swap space. This isn't enough considering I am running Oracle. How do I create additional swap space? Please list sources or commands. PS mkswap doesn't work on my machine. ( I have swap and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

3. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space used???

Plz I need to know how much swap mem free and used i have. I'm using Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (rev 1885) Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

5. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

6. Linux

swap space

Hi, I want to know how can i free the swap space if it is completely full, 0 mb remaining, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

7. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Swap space

Dear All, I have a swap space of 16G available in Sol 10. I have allocated it as a seperate file system. But when the RAM Is full used , the system gets rebooted and the swap is not being used,. Any reasons for this. Rgds Rj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris full /tmp - du and df different swap NOT filled

Hello all, The issue is # df -h /tmp Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on swap 4.0G 4.0G 8.7M 100% /tmp # du -sh /tmp/ 87M /tmp By now you probably will say that this is open file destriptor issue. Well no, nothing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
2 Replies

10. Solaris

File system full, swap

hi all I am having a t5240 server in that zone is there in /var/adm/messages i am getting the following warning WARNING: /zoneroot/zonename-zone/root/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded if a swap is getting full what can i do. Please use code tags next time for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies
SYSINFO(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYSINFO(2)

NAME
sysinfo - return system information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysinfo.h> int sysinfo(struct sysinfo *info); DESCRIPTION
sysinfo() returns certain statistics on memory and swap usage, as well as the load average. Until Linux 2.3.16, sysinfo() returned information in the following structure: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ char _f[22]; /* Pads structure to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, the sizes of the memory and swap fields are given in bytes. Since Linux 2.3.23 (i386) and Linux 2.3.48 (all architectures) the structure is: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ unsigned long totalhigh; /* Total high memory size */ unsigned long freehigh; /* Available high memory size */ unsigned int mem_unit; /* Memory unit size in bytes */ char _f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)]; /* Padding to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, sizes of the memory and swap fields are given as multiples of mem_unit bytes. RETURN VALUE
On success, sysinfo() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EFAULT info is not a valid address. VERSIONS
sysinfo() first appeared in Linux 0.98.pl6. CONFORMING TO
This function is Linux-specific, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
All of the information provided by this system call is also available via /proc/meminfo and /proc/loadavg. SEE ALSO
proc(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SYSINFO(2)