Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed? Post 302936761 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of February 2015 12:17:21 PM
Old 02-27-2015
This is never going to work right on NFS. NFS is also probably why tail couldn't keep up. You should have the application send logs to you. How to do this depends on the application.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-27-2015 at 01:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log users real time

hi.... how i can configurator a log file on real time....on unix solaris.... thanks a lot.... Best Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or Shell script to read a transaction log in real time

Hello, I have a Apache webserver running on RedHat. Its primary function is a proxy server for users accessing the internet. I have a transaction log that logs every transactions of every users. For users trying to access certain sites/content the transactions goes into a 302 redirect loop and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruno406
2 Replies

4. Programming

Read/Write a fairly large amount of data to a file as fast as possible

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best solution to the following problem, and I'm not yet that much experienced like you. :-) Basically I have to read a fairly large file, composed of "messages" , in order to display all of them through an user interface (made with QT). The messages that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues

The following is a piece of code to rename LOG_FILE_NEW to LOG_FILE once you get a result (either RUNNING or SHUTDOWN) RESULT="" sleep 30 while ; do sleep 10 RESULT=`sed -n '/RUNNING/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` if ; then RESULT=`sed -n '/SHUTTING_DOWN/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` fi done mv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonorous
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX real time audit log writing

Hey all, I have a problem I was hoping to get some help on. So I have my two auditfiles, audfile1 and audfile2 that can be written to, I want to have the text version of them write to an NFS mount that I have set up. So i already know that i can do .secure/etc/audsp audfile1 > //nfsmount/folder/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CleverRiver6
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
VARNISHTOP(1)															     VARNISHTOP(1)

NAME
varnishtop - Varnish log entry ranking SYNOPSIS
varnishtop [-1] [-b] [-C] [-c] [-d] [-f] [-I regex] [-i tag] [-n varnish_name] [-r file] [-V] [-X regex] [-x tag] DESCRIPTION
The varnishtop utility reads varnishd(1) shared memory logs and presents a continuously updated list of the most commonly occurring log entries. With suitable filtering using the -I, -i, -X and -x options, it can be used to display a ranking of requested documents, clients, user agents, or any other information which is recorded in the log. The following options are available: -1 Instead of presenting of a continuously updated display, print the statistics once and exit. Implies -d. -b Include log entries which result from communication with a backend server. If neither -b nor -c is specified, varnishtop acts as if they both were. -C Ignore case when matching regular expressions. -c Include log entries which result from communication with a client. If neither -b nor -c is specified, varnishtop acts as if they both were. -d Process old log entries on startup. Normally, varnishtop will only process entries which are written to the log after it starts. -f Sort and group only on the first field of each log entry. This is useful when displaying e.g. stataddr entries, where the first field is the client IP address. -I regex Include log entries which match the specified regular expression. If neither -I nor -i is specified, all log entries are included. -i tag Include log entries with the specified tag. If neither -I nor -i is specified, all log entries are included. -p period Specifies the number of seconds to measure over, the default is 60 seconds. The first number in the list is the average number of requests seen over this time period. -n Specifies the name of the varnishd instance to get logs from. If -n is not specified, the host name is used. -r file Read log entries from file instead of shared memory. -V Display the version number and exit. -X regex Exclude log entries which match the specified regular expression. -x tag Exclude log entries with the specified tag. EXAMPLES
The following example displays a continuously updated list of the most frequently requested URLs:: varnishtop -i RxURL The following example displays a continuously updated list of the most commonly used user agents:: varnishtop -i RxHeader -C -I ^User-Agent SEE ALSO
o varnishd(1) o varnishhist(1) o varnishlog(1) o varnishncsa(1) o varnishstat(1) HISTORY
The varnishtop utility was originally developed by Poul-Henning Kamp in cooperation with Verdens Gang AS and Varnish Software AS, and later substantially rewritten by Dag-Erling Smorgrav. This manual page was written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav. COPYRIGHT
This document is licensed under the same licence as Varnish itself. See LICENCE for details. o Copyright (c) 2006 Verdens Gang AS o Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Varnish Software AS AUTHOR
Dag-Erling Smorgrav 1.0 2010-05-31 VARNISHTOP(1)