Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX syslog configuration
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX syslog configuration Post 302936634 by sembii on Thursday 26th of February 2015 10:25:23 PM
Old 02-26-2015
HPUX syslog configuration

Hi all,

We have few HPUX servers. Our monitoring server collects their CPU usage info, memory info and disk info in 5 min time interval.
Now, problem is massive access log from monitoring server logged in syslog.log on all hpux servers.

How can we prevent these access logs to be logged from particular host. Do I need to write script that does some search and delete action from log file? Or is there any other option?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HPUX 10.20 et HPUX 11

Is there any problems of binaries compatibility between HPUX 10.20 et 11 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
2 Replies

2. Linux

syslog configuration

Hi I have redhat linux v9.x. This is acting as a syslog server. I have a 1700 series cisco router I would like to log all the activity of my cisco router on my syslog server. Please anyone help me to configure it Regards, Raja (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

HPUX any help

:( i got couple of weeks ago a : HP Visualize workstation , model B100. everithing is ok in the box the only problem is that i 'am not familiar with this operational sys, and i try to uninstall and see if i can get on it windows net server 64 bit. or any other 64 bit operational sys that i'll... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbird
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuration of email on HPUX server

I am working in an developer 2000 based application where backend is Oracle9i in unix environment. My application has the functionality if email generation. But I am not able to test this functionality as my HPUX server is not configured for emails. Please let me know the steps for configuring mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hpux vi

Hello. I cant figure out how can i move entire row up , so it pasted on the one above at the end , or to do that for one character. In notepads,word, or some other text editors we would do that with backspace button. Example. Content of my text file is this : I am trying to do that. And... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

syslog configuration and log lvl

Hello I was getting hammered in /var/log/messages from snmpd becouse it was running a jira which was sending email everytime someone updated a case or made any changes. Therefor I decided to turn down the loglvl of snmpd, so what I did was add snmpd.notice; to # cat /etc/syslog.conf # Log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

9. Solaris

best configuration for syslog.conf

I would like to configure the syslog.conf to have a good monitoring information about my system. do you have any idea about best configuration from your experience in your Data Centers BR, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hpux

Hello All Why is hpux is not much spoken in the unix/Linux platform. what is the disadvantes in HPUX Thanks, VJ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijaykannan T
1 Replies
Perlbal::Manual::Logging(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Perlbal::Manual::Logging(3pm)

NAME
Perlbal::Manual::Logging - How Perlbal's logging system works VERSION Perlbal 1.78. DESCRIPTION Perlbal supports logging of a few messages (and you can log your messages in your plugins, for instance). This document describes how to achieve that. IMPORTANT: foreground vs. background If Perlbal is running on the foreground, it logs by calling "printf", which means you should get the logs on "STDOUT". If Perlbal is running on the background, it logs through Sys::Syslog. If Sys::Syslog is not available, there will be no logging, and THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW ABOUT PERLBAL'S LOGGING SYSTEM. How to log a message You can log a message by calling "Perlbal::log" as you'd call Sys::Syslog's "syslog": Perlbal::log( $priority, $format, @args ); You should read the documentation for Sys::Syslog for more information, but here's an example: Perlbal::log( 'info', 'beginning run' ); And here's another example: Perlbal::log( 'crit', "this thing crashed: $!" ); What is logged? o When we try to read from or write to a filehandle that is undefined, Perlbal::AIO logs a critical message: Perlbal::log("crit", "Undef $fh: $stack_trace"); o When failing to create a socket, Perlbal::BackendHTTP logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "Error creating socket: $!"); o When "inet_aton" fails to create a socket, Perlbal::BackendHTTP logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "inet_aton failed creating socket for $ip"); o When writing to a client, if we try to read more than we should from the backend, Perlbal::ClientHTTPBase logs a warning message: Perlbal::log('warning', "tried to readahead negative bytes. filesize=$self->{reproxy_file_size}, offset=$self->{reproxy_file_offset}"); o When opening a file being PUT for writing to disk, if there's an error (which is going to originate a 500 server error), Perlbal::ClientHTTPBase logs a warning message: Perlbal::log('warning', "system error: $msg ($info)"); o If we receive a request with a content length different from the actual length of the request, Perlbal::ClientProxy logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "Content length of $clen declared but $self->{buoutpos} bytes written to disk"); o When trying to buffer data to disk, if the operation fails Perlbal::ClientProxy logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "Failure to open $fn for buffered upload output"); o After buffering data to disk, if the file is empty, Perlbal::ClientProxy logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "Error writing buffered upload: $!. Tried to do $len bytes at $self->{buoutpos}."); o When purging a buffered upload on the disk, if an error occurs, Perlbal::ClientProxy logs a critical message: Perlbal::log('warning', "Unable to link $self->{bufilename}: $!"); o When marking a backend as pending, if there's already another one in that ip/port, Perlbal::Service will log a couple of warning messages: Perlbal::log('warning', "Warning: attempting to spawn backend connection that already existed."); Perlbal::log('warning', " -- [$filename:$line] $package::$subroutine"); o When deciding whether we should spawn one or more backend connections, if the total of pending conections is negative, Perlbal::Service will log a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "Bogus: service $self->{name} has pending connect count of $self->{pending_connect_count}?! Resetting."); o When spawning a backend connection, if there is no IP address for the backend, Perlbal::Service will log a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "No backend IP for service $self->{name}"); o When starting, Perlbal will log an info message: Perlbal::log('info', 'beginning run'); o When shutting down, Perlbal will log an info message: Perlbal::log('info', 'ending run'); o After each loop, is some error occurred, Perlbal will log a critical message: Perlbal::log('crit', "crash log: $_") foreach split(/ ? /, $@); o When attempting to create the pidfile, if unsuccessful, Perlbal will log an info message: Perlbal::log('info', "couldn't create pidfile '$file': $!" ); o When attempting to write to the pidfile, if unsuccessful, Perlbal will log an info message: Perlbal::log('info', "couldn't write into pidfile '$file': $!" ); Generating more logs by sending a USR1 signal to perlbal If you send a USR1 signal to perlbal, that tells it to log some basic statistics to the syslog. It's similar to connecting to a management service and issue a "show service" for each service, plus a "states" and a "queues" commands. Where is it logged to? The way Perlbal opens Sys::Syslog, it logs to /var/log/daemon.log by default. SEE ALSO You can tweek Sys::Syslog's configuration under /etc/syslog.conf. See Sys::Syslog for more details. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-23 Perlbal::Manual::Logging(3pm)