Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed? Post 302936631 by cool.aquarian on Thursday 26th of February 2015 09:00:32 PM
Old 02-26-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by achenle
That's not really an easy problem to solve. Any solution that meets your requirements has to take into account specifics of the OS, the file system, and even the physical hardware. Obviously such a solution isn't going to be very portable.

The first thing you have to figure out is what's fast enough? Because there's always going to be some delay in reading data from the file after it's been written.

You might be better served interposing something into the logging stream that splits the stream into two - one to the original logging system and one into your real-time parser.
Thanks for your post.
About what is fast enough, a delay of 30 seconds or so would be within the accepted level. But I have seen that on average, the tail command is able to read less than 70% of the file(within 10 minutes) before the file gets rolled over and script throws the error (as the log files are present on a shared NFS mount):
Code:
tail: error reading `<file-path>': Stale NFS file handle

Last edited by cool.aquarian; 02-26-2015 at 10:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log users real time

hi.... how i can configurator a log file on real time....on unix solaris.... thanks a lot.... Best Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or Shell script to read a transaction log in real time

Hello, I have a Apache webserver running on RedHat. Its primary function is a proxy server for users accessing the internet. I have a transaction log that logs every transactions of every users. For users trying to access certain sites/content the transactions goes into a 302 redirect loop and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruno406
2 Replies

4. Programming

Read/Write a fairly large amount of data to a file as fast as possible

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best solution to the following problem, and I'm not yet that much experienced like you. :-) Basically I have to read a fairly large file, composed of "messages" , in order to display all of them through an user interface (made with QT). The messages that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues

The following is a piece of code to rename LOG_FILE_NEW to LOG_FILE once you get a result (either RUNNING or SHUTDOWN) RESULT="" sleep 30 while ; do sleep 10 RESULT=`sed -n '/RUNNING/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` if ; then RESULT=`sed -n '/SHUTTING_DOWN/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` fi done mv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonorous
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX real time audit log writing

Hey all, I have a problem I was hoping to get some help on. So I have my two auditfiles, audfile1 and audfile2 that can be written to, I want to have the text version of them write to an NFS mount that I have set up. So i already know that i can do .secure/etc/audsp audfile1 > //nfsmount/folder/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CleverRiver6
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
WHO(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    WHO(1)

NAME
who -- display who is on the system SYNOPSIS
who [-abHmqsTu] [am I] [file] DESCRIPTION
The who utility displays information about currently logged in users. By default, this includes the login name, tty name, date and time of login and remote hostname if not local. The options are as follows: -a Equivalent to -bTu, with the exception that output is not restricted to the time and date of the last system reboot. -b Write the time and date of the last system reboot. -H Write column headings above the output. -m Show information about the terminal attached to standard input only. -q ``Quick mode'': List the names and number of logged in users in columns. All other command line options are ignored. -s Show the name, line and time fields only. This is the default. -T Indicate whether each user is accepting messages. One of the following characters is written: + User is accepting messages. - User is not accepting messages. ? An error occurred. -u Show idle time for each user in hours and minutes as hh:mm, '.' if the user has been idle less than a minute, and ``old'' if the user has been idle more than 24 hours. am I Equivalent to -m. By default, who gathers information from the file /var/run/utx.active. An alternate file may be specified which is usually /var/log/utx.log (or /var/log/utx.log.[0-6] depending on site policy as utx.log can grow quite large and daily versions may or may not be kept around after compression by ac(8)). The utx.log file contains a record of every login, logout, crash, shutdown and date change since utx.log was last truncated or created. If /var/log/utx.log is being used as the file, the user name may be empty or one of the special characters '|', '}' and '~'. Logouts produce an output line without any user name. For more information on the special characters, see getutxent(3). ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_TIME environment variables affect the execution of who as described in environ(7). FILES
/var/run/utx.active /var/log/utx.log /var/log/utx.log.[0-6] EXIT STATUS
The who utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
last(1), users(1), w(1), getutxent(3) STANDARDS
The who utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A who command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 11, 2012 BSD