Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Preserve leading white space
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Preserve leading white space Post 302936610 by sea on Thursday 26th of February 2015 04:45:51 PM
Old 02-26-2015
I assume the setting of line1=$line is for compatibility reasons for within the existing scripts?
You keep using $line though...
If the setting of line1 is required, i'd put some qoutes around it.

What idention do you loose?
You check for the line/1 to begin with "@1,0" - so there is no idention.

---------- Post updated at 22:45 ---------- Previous update was at 22:40 ----------

Figured, you probably ment to ident the $line in the output, change to
Code:
        echo "    $line"                                                   
        echo "endif"

hth

Last edited by sea; 02-26-2015 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Code fix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping white space...

Hi All; Having a problem with a file.. the file contains the following data... (a snapshot) 1331F9E9DB7C2BB80EAEDE3A8F043B94,AL7 1DZ,M,50 186FDF93E1303DBA217279EC3671EA91,NG5 1JU,M,24 3783FFAF602015056A8CD21104B1AAAF,CH42 4NQ,M,17 It has 3 columns sepreated by a , the second column... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED with White Space

Dear Members, Suppose i have a variable test which stores a string as below: test='John drives+++++++++a+++++car' now i want to use sed on the above variable and replace + with a white space, so that i get echo $test should give me 'john drives a car' Between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching white space through Grep

Hello All, I am trying to match white space in patterns through - Grep I tried ] & ] but none of them worked. Then I tried Perl extension '\s' and it worked. So just wanted to know if ] & ] are still supported or have they become deprecated. However they have been mentioned in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve space while concatenating strings? (KSH)

I have these str1=$(echo "This is string one with spaces \n This is also my sentence 1") When I echo $str1, it displays the new line character properly. Now I have another new variable say str2. I want to concatenate in this way.. str1 + newline character + and then str2. That's I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed + white space

Hi, What sed command (if sed is the right command) can remove ALL white space from my file. I have a csv, except I want to remove all white space between commas and characters. My idea (without testing) sed 's/ //g' Is there a better way? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
ROOTTAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ROOTTAIL(1)

NAME
root-tail - print text directly to X11 root window SYNOPSIS
root-tail [-g|--geometry GEOMETRY] [-fn|--font FONTSPEC] [--color color] [--reload SEC COMMAND] [--shade] [--outline] [--minspace] [--noflicker] [-f|--fork] [--reverse] [--whole] [--partial] [--update] [--cont STRING] [--wordwrap] [--justify] [--noinitial] [--frame] [-id ID] [-i|--interval SECONDS] [-V] file1[,color[,desc]] [file2[,color[,desc]]] DESCRIPTION
Displays a given file anywhere on your X11 root window, i.e. it is kind of tail -f for multiple files using your desktop background as out- put window. All non-option arguments on the command line are files to be logged. A null desc (example: "/var/log/messages,red,") will prevent the printing of a description and the []'s. General Options --color COLOR Use COLOR as default. --font | -fn FONTSPEC Use font FONTSPEC. This can be either a fixed width font like -fn fixed or any font using -fn '-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' with the appropriate fields filled out (see xfontsel). Specifying a different FONTSPEC before each filename will cause each file to be displayed in a different font. -f | --fork Forks to the background. --reverse Display the files in reverse order, with the newest lines at the top. --whole Only display whole lines. If the last line of a file doesn't yet end with a newline character then wait until it does before dis- playing it. This is the default if more than one file is being displayed. --partial This is the opposite of the --whole option (see above). It displays lines even if they don't yet have a newline at the end. This is the default if only one file is being displayed. --update Update partial lines 'in place' if they are still on the screen when they are updated in their files. Using --update automatically turns on --partial. --cont STRING When partial lines are broken into two lines in the display, prefix the 2nd line with STRING. Defaults to "|| ". Specify the "--whole" argument to ensure partial lines are never displayed, or specify "--update" to attempt to "repair" broken lines in-place. --cont-color COLOR Use COLOR when displaying the continuation string (as optionally specified with the --cont option above). --wordwrap The default behaviour is to fit as much as possible onto each line of output, even if this means splitting a word between one line and the next. The --wordwrap argument splits lines at spaces if possible. --justify After wrapping long lines, attempt to justify the text to produce a smooth right-hand margin. Implies --wordwrap. --reload SEC COMMAND Re-display the file(s) and run COMMAND every SEC seconds. The default is to never re-display the file(s). --shade Add black shading to the font. --outline Add a black outline to the font (making redraws quite a bit slower). --minspace Use minimum linespace even when using shading or outlining. This might result in leftover pixels (dependign on font and logfile con- tent). --noflicker Use slower but flicker-free update. --noinitial Don't display the end of the file(s) initially. -id ID Use the given window ID for output instead of the root window. -i | --interval SECONDS Use the specified sleeping interval between checks instead of the default 2.4 seconds. Fractional values are OK. -V Print version information. --frame Draw a frame around the selected area. This is useful when trying to find the perfect geometry. EXAMPLE
root-tail -g 800x250+100+50 -font 10x20 /var/log/messages,green -font 12x24 /var/log/secure,red,'ALERT' BUGS
Some desktop environments open a virtual root window and make it difficult to share it. If you cannot see anything after starting root- tail, try to find a setting "allow programs on desktop" or similar, or manually specify a window id. Should you happen to find any bugs please fix them and send me a diff. NOTE: This program was modified by Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>, who couldn't reach the original author. Please direct bug-reports etc. to pcg@goof.com. http://root-tail.plan9.de/ 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 2004-03-27 ROOTTAIL(1)