Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find position of blank row in UNIX? Post 302936499 by rock_01 on Thursday 26th of February 2015 02:17:46 AM
Old 02-26-2015
How to find position of blank row in UNIX?

Hi

I have file "emp.txt"like below

Code:
Emp Id    Name
123          aa
123          bb

223          cc
233         dd

334        ee

Please help me to know that the position of the blank row.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-26-2015 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find n'th row from UNIX file?

Hello Gurus, I am new to this forum and I have a BASIC knowlege in UNIX commands. I have a data file which contains 1 billion records, how to find 5678th row and put this rows into a new file? Can anybody please give the command how to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find if a position is between a given start and end position

Hi, I am a newbie in unix programming so maybe this is a simple question. I would like to know how can I make a script that outputs only the values that are not between any given start and end positions Example file1: 2 30 40 80 82 100 file2: ID1 1 ID2 35 ID3 80 ID4 81 ID6... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix help to find blank lines in a file and print numbers on that line

Hi, I would like to know how to solve one of my problems using expert unix commands. I have a file with occasional blank lines; for example; dertu frthu fghtu frtty frtgy frgtui frgtu ghrye frhutp frjuf I need to edit the file so that the file looks like this; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Line/Row Position

Hi guys. I'd just like to know if its possible to change the actual line/row position in awk while its busy processing a file. In other words, is it possible to jump from line 10, back up to line 5 and continue processing line-by-line from then onwards? or is the way around this to add all lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: going_grey
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying down first row in to all the below blank rows in a .csv file

Hi All, I have many of files(.csv) of the format given below. Date,Name,Location 04/02/2012,A,India ,B,China ,C,USA Like this I have 1000's of rows and many columns in all my files. I need a shell script to copy down the Date(in this example column1) to the next 2 rows below(in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for blank fields in a text file from a certain position?

Sample txt file : OK00001111112| OK00003443434|skjdaskldj OK32812983918|asidisoado OK00000000001| ZM02910291029|sldkjaslkjdasldjk what would be the shell script to figure out the blank space (if any) after the pipe sign? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files with 1 single row - UNIX

Hi, How could Find files with 1 single row in unix I need delete files with 1 single row (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marlboro
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column to row and position data in a text file

Hi everyone.. I have a list of values in a file... a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, aaaa, bbbbb, I am interested in converting this column to a row.. "text",aaaa, bbbb a,1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manihi
7 Replies
MSGFMT_CREATE(3)							 1							  MSGFMT_CREATE(3)

MessageFormatter::create - Constructs a new Message Formatter

Object oriented style (method)

SYNOPSIS
publicstatic MessageFormatter MessageFormatter::create (string $locale, string $pattern) DESCRIPTION
Object oriented style (constructor): MessageFormatter::__construct (string $locale, string $pattern) Procedural style MessageFormatter msgfmt_create (string $locale, string $pattern) Constructs a new Message Formatter PARAMETERS
o $locale - The locale to use when formatting arguments o $pattern - The pattern string to stick arguments into. The pattern uses an 'apostrophe-friendly' syntax; it is run through umsg_autoQuoteA- postrophe before being interpreted. RETURN VALUES
The formatter object EXAMPLES
Example #1 msgfmt_create(3) example <?php $fmt = msgfmt_create("en_US", "{0,number,integer} monkeys on {1,number,integer} trees make {2,number} monkeys per tree"); echo msgfmt_format($fmt, array(4560, 123, 4560/123)); $fmt = msgfmt_create("de", "{0,number,integer} Affen auf {1,number,integer} Baumen sind {2,number} Affen pro Baum"); echo msgfmt_format($fmt, array(4560, 123, 4560/123)); ?> Example #2 OO example <?php $fmt = new MessageFormatter("en_US", "{0,number,integer} monkeys on {1,number,integer} trees make {2,number} monkeys per tree"); echo $fmt->format(array(4560, 123, 4560/123)); $fmt = new MessageFormatter("de", "{0,number,integer} Affen auf {1,number,integer} Baumen sind {2,number} Affen pro Baum"); echo $fmt->format(array(4560, 123, 4560/123)); ?> The above example will output: 4,560 monkeys on 123 trees make 37.073 monkeys per tree 4.560 Affen auf 123 Baumen sind 37,073 Affen pro Baum SEE ALSO
msgfmt_format(3), msgfmt_parse(3), msgfmt_get_error_code(3), msgfmt_get_error_message(3). PHP Documentation Group MSGFMT_CREATE(3)