Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Memory allocation for particular process in UNIX Post 302936498 by Ankur Goyal on Thursday 26th of February 2015 02:12:05 AM
Old 02-26-2015
Blade Memory allocation for particular process in UNIX

I want to run a C program on my linux machine. I want to allocate specific heap size for that process (C program) to run.
How can I do that?
I know in Java same can be done using -Xmx option.
There may be some option which I can specify in the C program like Java or may be in linux process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory allocation

I would like to know how I could allocate some more memory to a process. Please note that I am not the root user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

threads and memory allocation

Hello! First of all, forgive me for bad English. When I starts new thread (pthread_create), system allocates some memory for it (for example, for thread's stack). I wonder when does it deallocate this memory? The problem is that I have a program which sometimes creates new threads and sometimes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prankster
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX memory usage allocation

Hi all, I have a HP-UX Server with 4 gigabytes of physical RAM. When I use the 'Glance' utility to see what my memory utilization is, my memory usage shows up maxed out at 99%. I shut off all the known processes that I'm running on that box and the memory utilization is still at 78% (with Swap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dehuang83
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP-UX memory usage allocation

Hi all, I have a HP-UX Server with 4 gigabytes of physical RAM. When I use the 'Glance' utility to see what my memory utilization is, my memory usage shows up maxed out at 99%. I shut off all the known processes that I'm running on that box and the memory utilization is still at 78% (with Swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehuang83
3 Replies

5. Programming

memory allocation in subroutine

Hi everyone, I'm not new to C programming, but I'm having question regarding the memory allocation of a pointer variable which, for instance, will be declared in main(), but its memory will be allocated in subroutine. To clearify my question, I provide a small working example: #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MIB_Maik
1 Replies

6. Programming

Memory allocation in C

Hi Experts I need some help in static memory allocation in C. I have a program in which I declared 2 variables, one char array and one integer. I was little surprised to see the addresses of the variables. First: int x; char a; printf("%u %u\n', &x, a); I got the addresses displayed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx_freak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

memory allocation to a variable

hello all.. i'm a beginner in shell scripting. I need to know what is really happening when we are creating a variable in shell scripting? how memory is allocated for that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Single Process Memory Allocation HP-UX 11i v3

Hi, I have HP-UX 11i v3 running on ia64. One of my application is 32-bit and I want to increase the memory allocation of this file upto 2GB. I am contentiously receiving an error message of Out of Memory. Can you please explain the procedure what kernel configuration( like maxdsize or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmadamin416
1 Replies

9. Programming

C++/ROOT Memory Allocation?

Hello, I am new to C++ programming, so I'm still getting a feel for things. I recently wrote a simple C++ program (to be used as a ROOT Macro) to conduct a statistical analysis of a varied version of the Monty Hall problem (code below). Basically, the programs runs a few simple calculations to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory allocation problem

I am using ubuntu. I have written a program to calculate prime factors. it works perfectly fine till entered number is less than 9989 (or so ) but when one enters a number higher than that, for example 15000, it does not work. Can anyone guide me whats the problem ? although new codes are welcome,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek_kumar
2 Replies
allocate(1)															       allocate(1)

NAME
allocate - device allocation SYNOPSIS
allocate [-s] [-U uname] device allocate [-s] [-U uname] -g dev-type allocate [-s] [-U uname] -F device The allocate utility manages the ownership of devices through its allocation mechanism. It ensures that each device is used by only one qualified user at a time. The device argument specifies the device to be manipulated. To preserve the integrity of the device's owner, the allocate operation is exe- cuted on all the device special files associated with that device. The argument dev-type is the device type to be operated on and can only be used with the -g option. The default allocate operation allocates the device special files associated with device to the uid of the current process. If the -F option is specified, the device cleaning program is executed when allocation is performed. This cleaning program is found in /etc/security/lib. The name of this program is found in the device_allocate(4) entry for the device in the dev-exec field. Only authorized users may allocate a device. The required authorizations are specified in device_allocate(4). The following options are supported: -g dev-type Allocates a non-allocated device with a device-type matching dev-type. -s Silent. Suppresses any diagnostic output. -F device Reallocates the device allocated to another user. This option is often used with -U to reallocate a specific device to a specific user. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. -U uname Uses the user ID uname instead of the user ID of the current process when performing the allocate operation. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. The following exit values are returned: non--zero An error occurred. /etc/security/device_allocate /etc/security/device_maps /etc/security/dev/* /etc/security/lib/* See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ deallocate(1), list_devices(1), bsmconv(1M), dminfo(1M), mkdevalloc(1M), mkdevmaps(1M), device_allocate(4), device_maps(4), attributes(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. /etc/security/dev, mkdevalloc(1M), and mkdevmaps(1M) might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris Operating Environment. 28 Mar 2005 allocate(1)