Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk in shellscript
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk in shellscript Post 302936395 by CarloM on Wednesday 25th of February 2015 07:44:55 AM
Old 02-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumble
Code:
content=`cat /tmp/file | awk -F '"fields":' '{print $2}' | awk -F '"description":' '{print $4}' | awk -F ',' '{print $1}' | awk -F '"' '{print $1}'`

suddenly gives me all files and folders in that directory followed by the information I'm looking for:

folder1 folder2 file1 file2 My Information
Are you running it from the command-line, or in a script? If it's in a script, can you show us more of it, and how are you running it?

Also, what's in /tmp/file?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Shellscript

I am new to UNIX. I got the file from Oracle, with two columns (Table Name and Column Name). I need to create the shell script where the result suppose to include plain text, <table_name>, <Column_name> from the file. Plain text will be the statements to create index in Oracle. something like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newuser100
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another shellscript question

Folks; on a unix server I have a mapping file which holds a list mountpoints of all databases and their mountpoints. tab delimited or colon deliminted..I needed to copy the datafiles from the pristine mountpoints to test's mountpoints in this case. I needed to do this by passing sid name using... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shellscript

Hello. I am a novince at writing shell scripts but here is the question. I have to write a shell script that does the following: Once executed via crontab, the script should do the following: a. get date/time stamp in for format 10-MAR-05 and b. execute shell script my_script.sh (which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk in a loop/shellscript

I am trying to write a shell script using awk which will format the output of the "ps -eaf" command by sorting it by user and then listing all of the processes for each user. Here is an example of the output I want: Here is the code I have: #! /bin/sh for I in `ps -eaf h | awk '{print $1}'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shinsuio
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in shellscript

Hi All, I tried below code getting error. AD=0 ZERO=0 if then echo "AD is zero select another symbol" fi syntax error near unexpected token `fi' plz help me to solve this error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed shellscript for the following

hi all, i need the shell script for he below requirement i had the input file as a_20121217_035120( frmat is a_date_hhmmss) a_20121217_035128 a_20121217_035456 a_20121217_035767 a_20121217_035178 a_20121217_035189 a_20121217_035220 my output should be a_20121217_035456... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shellscript

I am new in shell script i want to convert .txt file in the format axsjdijdjjdk to a x s j d i j d j j d k (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add field to diffrent file using shellscript? or awk

hi, would you help me? i have file total.csv "a","e23","f" "b,"34d","g" "c","45f","f" "d","45s","f" count.csv 3 i do this : paste -d',",' total.csv count.csv but the result like this: "a,"e23","f" 3 "b,"34d","g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kivale
1 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)