Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Print to Windows PDF printer from AIX Post 302936382 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 25th of February 2015 06:18:11 AM
Old 02-25-2015
You would need to have a print server running on Windows for AIX to send to, normally listening on TCP port 515. You can then define a remote printer to AIX and it should talk using the lpd protocol.

For a print server, we had a need to convert Xerox Escape Sequence (XES) formatted data (a rather old application generated the print file) and we have no printers that recognise XES any more. Our are PCL or occasionally PostScript. We found a German company that provided just what we needed and they are pretty cheap too.

Start page - docuFORM GmbH

I hope I'm not breaching the advertising rules, but it is as a customer.

It allowed us to convert characters that had been hard-coded into the application that the old Xerox printers used that were non-standard for the current devices too. You may also consider MPI Tech, IHS Systems and others, but this is the one we settled on.

If you data requires no conversion, then that's fine too.

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.2 print to a local printer

HHi guys . I have this problem ,I'm trying to print to a local machine (windows from the aix box , I;m using tiny Term Emulator) I mean i have no idea what should i do to get this going. The printer is connect it to the pc , it does not have an ip address. Thanks a lot Jose (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configure SCO Unix to print on windows base XP printer

Hi, I have done this year ago, and now I need to do it again, but did not remember how I do it. I have a slip printer on a windows xp workstation and i need to print from SCO unix application to that printer. I try to create a remote printer but the only option available is unix, the other to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: comsiconsa
0 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

wt is the exact procedure to share windows printer on linux machine to print from it

hi, what is the exact procedure to to set up printer on linux machine?The printer is a network hp 3050 printer configured on windows xp machine and i want to setup it on linux fc9 machine to print from it.is samba is compulsory for that? please give the exact procedure to do the same? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

4. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smbclient print while preserving windows printer settings?

I have successfully gotten AIX to print to a windows shared printer with this command: smbclient -U user%password -W domain -c "print file.ext" the only problem is: I have this print queue set up on the Windows side to overlay an image to all pages. When printing from samba, the overlay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX printer and extra blank page after each print

Guy's I have installed AIX direct Network printer as the below details.... printer1 hp@printer1 hplj-3 (HP-GL/2) Printer is printing fain and clearly but it's printing extra blank page after each print ? What's the couse of this problem ? Pls advice ! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
6 Replies

7. AIX

Create pdf printer queu

I need to create a print queue in AIX to be able to print directly to pdf (or a network based printer) from a informix based application (Genero/FourJ). I have a AIX 5.3 a I canīt find any documentation for this. If possible I would not like to use any thirth party software. Can someone help me on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marques_rmc
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to print PDF files on AIX 5.3?

Hello All, How to print PDF files on AIX 5.3 and 6.1 because i tried adobe reader with no success, any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moudmm
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remote print from SLES (SAP) to AIX 7.1 04 sp2 virtual printer queue gets down

Hello Administrators. I have a bit difficult problem. I have local virtual printer that has backend defined in /etc/qconf to script which in turns sends the spool to the real device. whenever I print locally (from sap) the print works as it should. The printer queue after the print is done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deneth
6 Replies
cups-lpd(8)							    Apple Inc.							       cups-lpd(8)

NAME
cups-lpd - receive print jobs and report printer status to lpd clients SYNOPSIS
cups-lpd [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -n ] [ -o option=value ] DESCRIPTION
cups-lpd is the CUPS Line Printer Daemon ("LPD") mini-server that supports legacy client systems that use the LPD protocol. cups-lpd does not act as a standalone network daemon but instead operates using the Internet "super-server" inetd(8) or xinetd(8). If you are using inetd, add the following line to the inetd.conf file to enable the cups-lpd mini-server: printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream Note: If you are using Solaris 10 or higher, you must run the inetdconv(1m) program to register the changes to the inetd.conf file. If you are using the newer xinetd(8) daemon, create a file named /etc/xinetd.d/cups containing the following lines: service printer { socket_type = stream protocol = tcp wait = no user = lp group = sys passenv = server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream } OPTIONS
-h hostname[:port] Sets the CUPS server (and port) to use. -n Disables reverse address lookups; normally cups-lpd will try to discover the hostname of the client via a reverse DNS lookup. -o name=value Inserts options for all print queues. Most often this is used to disable the "l" filter so that remote print jobs are filtered as needed for printing; the examples in the previous section set the "document-format" option to "application/octet-stream" which forces autodetection of the print file format. PERFORMANCE
cups-lpd performs well with small numbers of clients and printers. However, since a new process is created for each connection and since each process must query the printing system before each job submission, it does not scale to larger configurations. We highly recommend that large configurations use the native IPP support provided by CUPS instead. SECURITY
cups-lpd currently does not perform any access control based on the settings in cupsd.conf(5) or in the hosts.allow(5) or hosts.deny(5) files used by TCP wrappers. Therefore, running cups-lpd on your server will allow any computer on your network (and perhaps the entire Internet) to print to your server. While xinetd has built-in access control support, you should use the TCP wrappers package with inetd to limit access to only those comput- ers that should be able to print through your server. cups-lpd is not enabled by the standard CUPS distribution. Please consult with your operating system vendor to determine whether it is enabled on your system. COMPATIBILITY
cups-lpd does not enforce the restricted source port number specified in RFC 1179, as using restricted ports does not prevent users from submitting print jobs. While this behavior is different than standard Berkeley LPD implementations, it should not affect normal client operations. The output of the status requests follows RFC 2569, Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols. Since many LPD implementations stray from this definition, remote status reporting to LPD clients may be unreliable. SEE ALSO
cups(1), cupsd(8), inetconv(1m), inetd(8), xinetd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 4 August 2008 CUPS cups-lpd(8)