Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending mail to multiple recipient added in a text file Post 302936342 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 24th of February 2015 09:32:08 PM
Old 02-24-2015
Code:
dest=$(cat email_names.txt | tr -s '\n' ' ' )
xsub="foo"
mailx -s "$xsub" $dest

Note the email addresses should NOT be comma-delimited. mailx is front end for sendmail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to attach a txt file while sending mail

Hi, I need to attach a txt file while sending mail thru Unix. Please help me out in this.. -Charan. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending mails with attachment and also some text in mail body

Hi, Can some one help me with the syntax of the mailx that should send an attachment and also some text in the message body together. When I am using the following syntax it is not sending the attachment but only the message body. unix2dos -ascii $REPORTFILE | uuencode $PCFILE | mailx -s... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in the dead.letter file

Sorry for this one ladies and gents, it's probably very easy but I don't know how to, sound familiar :-) I'm using sendmail on a web server that sends some mail through forms, not many. I've got sendmail configured to use our networks relay host and everything was working well. The power... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdavies
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the latest added part of a text file?

Hi, I want to get the latest added part of a text file sent over the network to for analysis. Is there a tool to use to keep track of which part of a text file that has already been analysed so only the "new" lines will be sent and handled? I have checked a few tools but I still donīt know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcrs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want Trailer to be added into the text file.

Hi folks, I want Trailer to be added into the txt file the format is below. flatfile-> abc.txt count of the file is 500 records. I want the trailer in this format: TRAILER|500 (pipe delimeter). Please suggest the comands ASAP. Rgds Ann (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to attach text in body of email while sending mail with attachment

Hi, We have been trying to send mail with attachment and it is going fine, but when we try to attach a text to the body of the email, we find that the mail is going fine with the body text but the attachment is not going through. We are using ksh. The command that is successfull without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx -s not sending the file to mail address

Hi All, OS:Red Hat Linux 4 86x64 Below is my shell script which is not sending mail to the mail recipient: #!/bin/bash export MAILLIST="xyz@yahoo.com" cd <path_to_the_script_perf_report.sql> sqlplus / as sysdba @perf_report.sql if then cat <path_to_the_script/*MONTHLY*REPORT*.lst... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo - Sending mail to multiple addresses

Hi, If I want my script to send a mail to multiple recipients I can do the following: if then echo $err_string1 | mailx -s "UAT CPU ALERT" 1@email.com echo $err_string1 | mailx -s "UAT CPU ALERT" 2@email.com fi Can this also be done something like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending multiple files along with mail message using uuencode

Hi, I have a requirement to send a mail with multiple files attached to it and along with the text message in the mail. I am trying sumthing like below but it only sends me the text message and no files attached to the mail. ---------------------------------------- ( uuencode file1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail sending with multiple attachement(pdf and csv) with html content from Linux

Hi, We have a requirement to send multiple attachment(pdf and csv) along with html content in a single mail. For that we are using uuencode. It is working for single pdf attachment and html content. But we are unable to send both pdf and csv attachment with html content. Below is the script.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dholea
5 Replies
mail.local(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mail.local(1M)

NAME
mail.local - store mail in a mailbox SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mail.local [-f sender] [-d] recipient DESCRIPTION
mail.local reads the standard input up to an end-of-file and appends it to each user's mail file (mailbox). This program is intended to be used by sendmail(1M) as a mail delivery agent for local mail. It is not a user interface agent. Messages are appended to the user's mail file in the /var/mail directory. The user must be a valid user name. Each delivered mail message in the mailbox is preceded by a "Unix From line" with the following format: From sender_address time_stamp The sender_address is extracted from the SMTP envelope address (the envelope address is specified with the -f option). A trailing blank line is also added to the end of each message. The mail files are locked with a .lock file while mail is appended. The mail files are created with mode 660, owner is set to recipient, and group is set to mail. If the ``biff'' service is returned by get- servbyname(3SOCKET), the biff server is notified of delivered mail. This program also computes the Content-Length: header which will be used by the mailbox reader to mark the message boundary. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f sender Specifies the "envelope from address" of the message. This flag is technically optional, but should be used. -d Specifies the recipient of the message. This flag is also optional and is supported here for backward compatibility. That is, mail.local recipient is the same as mail.local -d recipient. -l Turn on LMTP mode. -r from Specify the sender's name (for backward compatibility). -7 Do not advertise 8BITMIME support in LMTP mode. -b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary error if a mailbox exceeds quota. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: recipient The recipient of the mail message. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TZ Used to set the appropriate time zone on the timestamp. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/tmp/local.XXXXXX temporary files /tmp/lochd.XXXXXX temporary files /var/mail/user_name user's mail file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), comsat(1M), sendmail(1M), getservbyname(3SOCKET), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 11 Apr 1997 mail.local(1M)