Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with kernel patches
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problems with kernel patches Post 302936317 by cjhilinski on Tuesday 24th of February 2015 02:33:21 PM
Old 02-24-2015
It gets more interesting. I first built "test" from scratch last fall. Then I cloned it to "dev." Both of those were running 123.13.2 before the patches, which were done through the Penn State University RH satellite. Both issue the same errors after the update 123.20.1 update and those errors go away when I boot them to 123.13.2. I have several other RH7 servers running 123.20.1 and they have no problems. So I believe this is all unique to this one particular build of dev and test and not indicative of an overall RH patch flaw/fault/bug.

I think it is a good question to ask about how these were updated. In general, when I build a server from scratch, I'll complete the install and then register the machine through the PSU satellite. Ithe recommended procedure is to run a yum update after doing the satellite registration. After that, I will patch using the satellite tools. I don't update with yum after the initial build.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

2.4.9 Linux Kernel & PCMCIA Wireless Problems

We are installing a PrismII chipset wireless PCMCIA card with a new 2.4.9 linux kernel. The card is a D-Link DWL-650. The 2.4.9 kernel uses the orinoco_cs.o driver. Anyone running this configuration? The 2.4.9 Linux kernel has built in PCMCIA support and the README says it supports the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. BSD

Kernel Problems

Hey guys, I have installed Freebsd 5.3 Release, and I can't compile my custom kernel. I even tried compile the Generic kernel to see if I had some error in my custom kernel, and that didn't compile either. The Freebsd FAQ pages states one solution would be to "re-fetch the source tree". How is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: icecoldslimburn
8 Replies

3. HP-UX

kernel, memory and patches information

I kind of forget easily. Is anyone remember the command to find kernel, memory and patches information of HPUX 11.0 machine? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to update the kernel patches in solaris 10

tell me the step by step procedure for updating the kernel patches in solaris 10. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
1 Replies

6. AIX

List of Installed patches for AIX from given set of patches

I need to find out list of installed patches from given list of patches. I have tried using instfix -f <File containing list of patches> -i -c But I was not able to understand the output of this command. It was like below. bos.perf.tools: :0.0.0.0:?: bos.rte.libc: :0.0.0.0:?: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh Agrawal
4 Replies

7. SuSE

Problem compiling the kernel and linking problems in OpenSuse 12.3

Hi everyone I installed OpenSuse 12.3 and many development tools but when i propose build the kernel from the source (the first step make menuconfig) i saw this: HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/mconf /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.7/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: libdl.so.2,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacesado
2 Replies

8. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-logind.service					 SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-logind.service, systemd-logind - Login manager SYNOPSIS
systemd-logind.service /lib/systemd/systemd-logind DESCRIPTION
systemd-logind is a system service that manages user logins. It is responsible for: o Keeping track of users and sessions, their processes and their idle state. This is implemented by allocating a systemd slice unit for each user below user.slice, and a scope unit below it for each concurrent session of a user. Also, a per-user service manager is started as system service instance of user@.service for each logged in user. o Generating and managing session IDs. If auditing is available and an audit session ID is already set for a session, then this ID is reused as the session ID. Otherwise, an independent session counter is used. o Providing PolicyKit-based access for users for operations such as system shutdown or sleep o Implementing a shutdown/sleep inhibition logic for applications o Handling of power/sleep hardware keys o Multi-seat management o Session switch management o Device access management for users o Automatic spawning of text logins (gettys) on virtual console activation and user runtime directory management User sessions are registered with logind via the pam_systemd(8) PAM module. See logind.conf(5) for information about the configuration of this service. See sd-login(3) for information about the basic concepts of logind such as users, sessions and seats. See the logind D-Bus API Documentation[1] for information about the APIs systemd-logind provides. For more information on the inhibition logic see the Inhibitor Lock Developer Documentation[2]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-user-sessions.service(8), loginctl(1), logind.conf(5), pam_systemd(8) sd-login(3) NOTES
1. logind D-Bus API Documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind 2. Inhibitor Lock Developer Documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit systemd 237 SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)