Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl split string separated by special character Post 302936276 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of February 2015 11:44:39 AM
Old 02-24-2015
This is especially convenient in perl as you can assign a list of variables to a list of results. split() like many things returns a list.

Code:
my ($a,$b,$c,$d,$e)=split(/;/,"a;b;c;d;e");

print "a is $a\n";
print "b is $b\n";

It won't arbitrarily declare new varibles, though. For an indeterminate number of results, use a list.
Code:
my @list=split(/;/, "a;b;c;d;e");

print @list[0], "\n";

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to extract a string delimited by any special character

I have a string as follows IS*blahblah TED~blahblah etc. I want to list down only IS and TED Can someone help me? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumariak
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl split funciton - special character "/"

HI, I have a directory structure. /abc/def/ghi/ I want to store it into array. So that if I do a pop function on that array I can easily go to previous directory. But how can i split and store it. @Directory = split(/\//,$DirectoryVarialbe) That doest works. Any other escape sequence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with a special character in String

Hi, I am beginner to Shell Scripting. I have a String like this "testabcdef", i need the first character as it is and the remaining character should be replaced by the the '*' character. e.g(t***********) PLZ Suggest me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl

Hello, I was trying to split a string to characters by perl oneliner. echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | perl -e 'split // ' But did not work as with bash script pipe: echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | fold -w1 | sort | uniq -ic 8 1 T 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)