Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory Post 302936204 by RudiC on Monday 23rd of February 2015 05:29:43 PM
Old 02-23-2015
Not sure it's the only culprit, but you missed a = after strip.

And, although your using code tags is appreciated, don't double post. Edit your mistakes in the first post.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting tar extract to another directory

Is it possible to redirect the output from 'tar xvf' to another directory? The taped tar image is extracting to my / dircetory - even though i'm running the command from /backups. The contents list of the tape shows files created from /livebackups/... Thanks Richard (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract a sub directory form a tar file

anyone know if it is possable to extract a subdirectory in a tar file. IE tarfile contains parent dir -sub dir A -sub dir B I want to extract sub dir B. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract archive to a specified directory

Hi, I would like to extract the files from an archive which I have copied from a different server which has different file structures to my server. When I do a tar xvf archive_name, I get the error saying the file or directory cannot be found. How do I specify a desginated directory to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_trinh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar extract to different directory

Hi, I created a tar file of a directory dir1 from /tmp in the following way $pwd /tmp $tar -cvf dir1.tar dir1 (dir1 will have say file1) Now i want to extract it in the directory /tmp/dir2 so that the directory dir1 is also created and extracted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create tar archive without preserving directory structure?

I am adding some individual files to a tar archive and would like them to be added to the archive without any directory hierarchy, even though the files themselves exist in levels of hierarchy. Unfortunately, tar seems to always preserve the directory hierarchy when it adds the files. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive directory script with tar/compress

Hi all I need to write a script that archives all files with a certain date in the filename, to another location. It has to run on a AIX using tar/compress or another standard AIX tool. The directory will have x files, each prefixed with a date like yyyymmdd_desc.csv. I need all to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXfrog
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote FTP Backup -Tar archive+ encrypt+ split to a remote ftp

I have a huge directoy(200+ gb) for backup. I want upload the tar file(split files) simultaneous to a remote ftp. (pipeline, stdout, stdin etc.) I don't want write a data to local hdd. I have a ssd hdd. thanks. this code doesn't work.( yes i know the problem is split command!) tar cvzf -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but i have to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BACya
1 Replies
GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)                                               Git Manual                                               GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-upload-archive - Send archive back to git-archive SYNOPSIS
git upload-archive <directory> DESCRIPTION
Invoked by git archive --remote and sends a generated archive to the other end over the Git protocol. This command is usually not invoked directly by the end user. The UI for the protocol is on the git archive side, and the program pair is meant to be used to get an archive from a remote repository. SECURITY
In order to protect the privacy of objects that have been removed from history but may not yet have been pruned, git-upload-archive avoids serving archives for commits and trees that are not reachable from the repository's refs. However, because calculating object reachability is computationally expensive, git-upload-archive implements a stricter but easier-to-check set of rules: 1. Clients may request a commit or tree that is pointed to directly by a ref. E.g., git archive --remote=origin v1.0. 2. Clients may request a sub-tree within a commit or tree using the ref:path syntax. E.g., git archive --remote=origin v1.0:Documentation. 3. Clients may not use other sha1 expressions, even if the end result is reachable. E.g., neither a relative commit like master^ nor a literal sha1 like abcd1234 is allowed, even if the result is reachable from the refs. Note that rule 3 disallows many cases that do not have any privacy implications. These rules are subject to change in future versions of git, and the server accessed by git archive --remote may or may not follow these exact rules. If the config option uploadArchive.allowUnreachable is true, these rules are ignored, and clients may use arbitrary sha1 expressions. This is useful if you do not care about the privacy of unreachable objects, or if your object database is already publicly available for access via non-smart-http. OPTIONS
<directory> The repository to get a tar archive from. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)