Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory Post 302936201 by BACya on Monday 23rd of February 2015 05:11:10 PM
Old 02-23-2015
Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI All
Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything is working fine:

Code:
$( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' )

but when im trying extract the TAR content ( without base directory) to another location, command doesnt work(no untar or any error ) :

Code:
$( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name -C /path_2 --strip 1 ' )

Please advise what im doing wrong

Last edited by BACya; 02-23-2015 at 06:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting tar extract to another directory

Is it possible to redirect the output from 'tar xvf' to another directory? The taped tar image is extracting to my / dircetory - even though i'm running the command from /backups. The contents list of the tape shows files created from /livebackups/... Thanks Richard (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract a sub directory form a tar file

anyone know if it is possable to extract a subdirectory in a tar file. IE tarfile contains parent dir -sub dir A -sub dir B I want to extract sub dir B. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract archive to a specified directory

Hi, I would like to extract the files from an archive which I have copied from a different server which has different file structures to my server. When I do a tar xvf archive_name, I get the error saying the file or directory cannot be found. How do I specify a desginated directory to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_trinh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar extract to different directory

Hi, I created a tar file of a directory dir1 from /tmp in the following way $pwd /tmp $tar -cvf dir1.tar dir1 (dir1 will have say file1) Now i want to extract it in the directory /tmp/dir2 so that the directory dir1 is also created and extracted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create tar archive without preserving directory structure?

I am adding some individual files to a tar archive and would like them to be added to the archive without any directory hierarchy, even though the files themselves exist in levels of hierarchy. Unfortunately, tar seems to always preserve the directory hierarchy when it adds the files. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive directory script with tar/compress

Hi all I need to write a script that archives all files with a certain date in the filename, to another location. It has to run on a AIX using tar/compress or another standard AIX tool. The directory will have x files, each prefixed with a date like yyyymmdd_desc.csv. I need all to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXfrog
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote FTP Backup -Tar archive+ encrypt+ split to a remote ftp

I have a huge directoy(200+ gb) for backup. I want upload the tar file(split files) simultaneous to a remote ftp. (pipeline, stdout, stdin etc.) I don't want write a data to local hdd. I have a ssd hdd. thanks. this code doesn't work.( yes i know the problem is split command!) tar cvzf -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but i have to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BACya
1 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)