Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot mimic the action of 'echo' with C Post 302936163 by fpmurphy on Monday 23rd of February 2015 10:13:11 AM
Old 02-23-2015
Thanks for updating us.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

action command

Hi.. When i refered the script /etc/rc.sysinit... i found the "action commands" like But this is not working in my shells.. the following error is coming... Please anybody help Thanks in advance esham (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mimic bash history behavior

Does anyone know of a way to mimic the up arrow/down arrow type bash behavior within a shell script? Say I have a scripted menu, and would like to be able to up arrow to bring up the last X number of lines of user input? Thanks to anybody with a suggestion. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

same action in then as in else: explanation?

in /etc/init.d/networking of an ubuntu computer, I found this code: if ifdown -a --exclude=lo; then log_action_end_msg $? else log_action_end_msg $? fi Shouldn't it be replace by ifdown -a --exclude=lo ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphinou
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with find its action

I am writing a shell script that takes at least 2 arguments. The first is an octal representation of file permissions, the second is a command that is executed on all the files found with that permission. #!/bin/sh find . -perm $1 -exec $2 $3 $4 {} \; invoked: ./script.sh 543 ls -la what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple action!

lets explain it easy by showing the initial file and desired file: I've a file such this that contains: initial_file: 31/12/2011 23:46:08 38.6762 43.689 14.16 Ml 3.1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oreka18
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Add trusted sites / "Mimic" the IE Security tab on Linux Ubuntu

Hello, I'm new here and although I have used Linux environments here and there for many years (mainly at college) I'm far from being a "pro". I spent hours searching this question, so I hope I won't repeat threads (chances are low though). The question is: how can I mimic or replicate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirieFenix
0 Replies
updaters(4)							   File Formats 						       updaters(4)

NAME
updaters - configuration file for NIS updating SYNOPSIS
/var/yp/updaters DESCRIPTION
The file /var/yp/updaters is a makefile (see make(1S)) which is used for updating the Network Information Service (NIS) databases. Data- bases can only be updated in a secure network, that is, one that has a publickey(4) database. Each entry in the file is a make target for a particular NIS database. For example, if there is an NIS database named passwd.byname that can be updated, there should be a make target named passwd.byname in the updaters file with the command to update the file. The information necessary to make the update is passed to the update command through standard input. The information passed is described below (all items are followed by a NEWLINE except for 4 and 6): 1. Network name of client wishing to make the update (a string). 2. Kind of update (an integer). 3. Number of bytes in key (an integer). 4. Actual bytes of key. 5. Number of bytes in data (an integer). 6. Actual bytes of data. After receiving this information through standard input, the command to update the particular database determines whether the user is allowed to make the change. If not, it exits with the status YPERR_ACCESS. If the user is allowed to make the change, the command makes the change and exits with a status of zero. If there are any errors that may prevent the updaters from making the change, it should exit with the status that matches a valid NIS error code described in <rpcsvc/ypclnt.h>. FILES
/var/yp/updaters The makefile used for updating the NIS databases. SEE ALSO
make(1S), rpc.ypupdated(1M), publickey(4) NOTES
The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same; only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications plc, and may not be used without permission. SunOS 5.11 24 Oct 1996 updaters(4)