Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print result of mv -n
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print result of mv -n Post 302936082 by parijat guh on Sunday 22nd of February 2015 11:05:24 PM
Old 02-23-2015
Hi Don,
Sorry for not being clear.
1.No the source file with same name as in destination for are NOT disappearing.The move command is working perfectly fine..
2.The
Code:
mv -n

has no output but is moving the dissimilar files as expected.
3.i am using Unix os bash shell
4.i think what you are asking here is what exits the mv command when it finds a similar file name ,I am using mv -n.

Pardon me if I donot get all your questions as I am new to Unix and new to this forum.

---------- Post updated at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:34 AM ----------

My objective is to print the file names which are being moved

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print a function result in new file

Hi, i have a function which return a variable . serach ( paramatere) when i excute this function i get the result in the shell, i want to print this result in a file by calling just the function. how can i do it.. the code example is like that: search ( ) { .. } the call... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print out result from data file

i got a data file which contains all the pid,ppid,user,command,pcpu,start_time,status. I wanted to display out the pcpu which is greater than 0. i uses awk'{if($5 > 0){print}}' filename.txt but is printing out result which not i wanted. Is there any way which i can print out those pcpu which is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thms_sum
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter the column and print the result based on condition

Hi all This is my output of the some SQL Query TABLESPACE_NAME FILE_NAME TOTALSPACE FREESPACE USEDSPACE Free ------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------- ---------- --------- ---------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort, columns, no result! can I print files of "planes"?

hi, please can I ask you for some help? I have data from 3D situation, x y z value I'd like to use gnuplot to generate maps of the value in the planes z=0 to z=1 for example, my file looks like -0,012 0,0060 0,0 0,13972813076023477 -0,012 0,0064319163 4,2894483E-4 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kocour
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use the print result of a script as an argument

Hi all, Say I have a script named script.sh. What it does is to print a line like "abc" #! /usr/bin/ksh print "abc" I would like to pass this value to an external variable, var1="script.sh" However when I echo $var1 I got "script.sh" itself instead of the result? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a group of result and print last hits

Hi I would like to search some data with awk and then print the last of the hits. Find house and print last value input:red house 4 blue boat 2 green house 6 black car 7 output:6 I now how to search using /house/, print third field print $3, an now I may use some form of $NR to get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print if found non-desired result

I have a result like this root@server # grep -rl maldet /etc/cron* /etc/cron.d/maldet_daily /etc/cron.d/malcron /etc/cron.d/malcrondaily /etc/cron.d/malcronweekly What I need is, I need an if/else condition such that, if there is any output other than /etc/cron.d/maldet_daily in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 columns from the same file and print a value depending on the result

Hello Unix gurus, I have a file with this format (example values): label1 1 0 label2 1 0 label3 0.4 0.6 label4 0.5 0.5 label5 0.1 0.9 label6 0.9 0.1 in which: column 1 is a row label column 2 and 3 are values I would like to do a simple operation on this table and get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get or print specific value in result

i am executing below code to achive my result, but for second row the value is not coming it should come URL like other two . url start with http:// and end with .xhtml cat FILE | grep 'Test failed' | awk -F',' '{print $3,$8,$12}' INPUT 1517679173303,84,SKILLED LANGUAGE - ENTER... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
11 Replies
GIT-MV(1)                                                           Git Manual                                                           GIT-MV(1)

NAME
git-mv - Move or rename a file, a directory, or a symlink SYNOPSIS
git mv <options>... <args>... DESCRIPTION
Move or rename a file, directory or symlink. git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> <destination> git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> ... <destination directory> In the first form, it renames <source>, which must exist and be either a file, symlink or directory, to <destination>. In the second form, the last argument has to be an existing directory; the given sources will be moved into this directory. The index is updated after successful completion, but the change must still be committed. OPTIONS
-f, --force Force renaming or moving of a file even if the target exists -k Skip move or rename actions which would lead to an error condition. An error happens when a source is neither existing nor controlled by Git, or when it would overwrite an existing file unless -f is given. -n, --dry-run Do nothing; only show what would happen -v, --verbose Report the names of files as they are moved. SUBMODULES
Moving a submodule using a gitfile (which means they were cloned with a Git version 1.7.8 or newer) will update the gitfile and core.worktree setting to make the submodule work in the new location. It also will attempt to update the submodule.<name>.path setting in the gitmodules(5) file and stage that file (unless -n is used). BUGS
Each time a superproject update moves a populated submodule (e.g. when switching between commits before and after the move) a stale submodule checkout will remain in the old location and an empty directory will appear in the new location. To populate the submodule again in the new location the user will have to run "git submodule update" afterwards. Removing the old directory is only safe when it uses a gitfile, as otherwise the history of the submodule will be deleted too. Both steps will be obsolete when recursive submodule update has been implemented. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-MV(1)