Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace HTML tags using sed regex Post 302935915 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 20th of February 2015 07:59:59 AM
Old 02-20-2015
Hello Badhrish,

Following may help you in same, if your all input data is in same provided form as per your shown input.
Code:
awk -F"</font>" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /^</ && $i !~ /^$/){print $i FS} else if($i !~  /^</ && $i !~ /^$/){gsub(/</,"\n&",$i);print $i FS}}}' Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
<font>abc</font>
def
<font>ghi</font>

EDIT: Added a non one liner form of solution on same.
Code:
awk -F"</font>" '{
                        for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){
                                                if($i ~ /^</ && $i !~ /^$/)             {
                                                                                                print $i FS
                                                                                        }
                                                else if($i !~  /^</ && $i !~ /^$/)      {
                                                                                                gsub(/</,"\n&",$i);
                                                                                                print $i FS
                                                                                        }
                                          }
                 }
                ' Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh

Last edited by RavinderSingh13; 02-20-2015 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Added a non oneliner form of solution
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unsing sed to strip html tags - help

Hi, I am trying to strip html tags of a string for example <TD>no problem</TD> the sesult should be no problem but could never get rid off all the tags sed 's/<..D>//g' Please help, I am new (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zap
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to supplement HTML tags with SED

I am cleaning up HTML with sed. With the regexp <a name="+"></a><h>*<span class="mw-headline" >+</span></h> I can find the tags I need. But when I place them in a sed command, sed fails. So I started building up from a smaller command. This is where I am now: sed -r -e s/"<a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DocBrewer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with 'sed' command while using HTML tags

Hello, I am using sed as follows - sed 's/CONTACT SYSTEMS! Some payments have been rejected/<B><font color="red" size="5.0pt"CONTACT SYSTEMS! Some payments have been rejected</font></B>/' $REPORT_FILE But while executing this, I am getting the error as - sed: command garbled &... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space, that is not in html tags <> with new line using sed

Hi, I am working on transforming html code text into the .vert text format. I want to use linux utility sed. I have this regexp which should do the work: s/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g. I use it like this with sed: echo "you <we try> there" | sed 's/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g' ... The demanded output should be: you <we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt1311
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to replace regex with a ' (quote) mark

I've got a text file which has " marks where it there should be ' marks. I tried to do it with sed, but it won't allow me to escape the ' mark. Here's what I tried to do: sed 's/"/\\'/g' file.txt How can this be done? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CraigMoore
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - striping out html tags

I have pasted the contents of a log file (swmbackup.wrkstn.1262071383.sales2a) below: Workstation: sales2a<BR Vault sales2a-hogwarts will be initialized.<BR <font color="red"There was a problem mounting /mnt/sales2a/desktop$ </FONT<BR <font color="red"There was a problem mounting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigtonydallas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with sed needed to extract content from html tags

Hi I've searched for it for few hours now and i can't seem to find anything working like i want. I've got webpage, saved in file par with form like this: <html><body><form name='sendme' action='http://example.com/' method='POST'> <textarea name='1st'>abc123def678</textarea> <textarea... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: seb001
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing HTML tags with sed

Ok, so this is stupid simple, and I know I am going to feel like an idiot when I get help. I am altering a HTML report that has contraband in it so that the links to said contraband and the images are not shown. The link/img pairs are in the form of : <a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to parse a specifc value between html tags using sed?

Hi, im trying to read a Temperature value from html code. So far i have managed to reduce the whole html page down to this single line with the following sed command:sed -n '/Temperature/p' $temp_temperature | tee temp_string <TD width='350'>Temperature :</td><td>25... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naittis
2 Replies
Strip(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Strip(3pm)

NAME
HTML::Strip - Perl extension for stripping HTML markup from text. SYNOPSIS
use HTML::Strip; my $hs = HTML::Strip->new(); my $clean_text = $hs->parse( $raw_html ); $hs->eof; DESCRIPTION
This module simply strips HTML-like markup from text in a very quick and brutal manner. It could quite easily be used to strip XML or SGML from text as well; but removing HTML markup is a much more common problem, hence this module lives in the HTML:: namespace. It is written in XS, and thus about five times quicker than using regular expressions for the same task. It does not do any syntax checking (if you want that, use HTML::Parser), instead it merely applies the following rules: 1. Anything that looks like a tag, or group of tags will be replaced with a single space character. Tags are considered to be anything that starts with a "<" and ends with a ">"; with the caveat that a ">" character may appear in either of the following without ending the tag: Quote Quotes are considered to start with either a "'" or a """ character, and end with a matching character not preceded by an even number or escaping slashes (i.e. """ does not end the quote but "\\"" does). Comment If the tag starts with an exclamation mark, it is assumed to be a declaration or a comment. Within such tags, ">" characters do not end the tag if they appear within pairs of double dashes (e.g. "<!-- <a href="old.htm">old page</a> -->" would be stripped completely). 2. Anything the appears within so-called strip tags is stripped as well. By default, these tags are "title", "script", "style" and "applet". HTML::Strip maintains state between calls, so you can parse a document in chunks should you wish. If one chunk ends half-way through a tag, quote, comment, or whatever; it will remember this, and expect the next call to parse to start with the remains of said tag. If this is not going to be the case, be sure to call $hs->eof() between calls to $hs->parse(). METHODS new() Constructor. Can optionally take a hash of settings (with keys corresponsing to the "set_" methods below). For example, the following is a valid constructor: my $hs = HTML::Strip->new( striptags => [ 'script', 'iframe' ], emit_spaces => 0 ); parse() Takes a string as an argument, returns it stripped of HTML. eof() Resets the current state information, ready to parse a new block of HTML. clear_striptags() Clears the current set of strip tags. add_striptag() Adds the string passed as an argument to the current set of strip tags. set_striptags() Takes a reference to an array of strings, which replace the current set of strip tags. set_emit_spaces() Takes a boolean value. If set to false, HTML::Strip will not attempt any conversion of tags into spaces. Set to true by default. set_decode_entities() Takes a boolean value. If set to false, HTML::Strip will decode HTML entities. Set to true by default. LIMITATIONS Whitespace Despite only outputting one space character per group of tags, and avoiding doing so when tags are bordered by spaces or the start or end of strings, HTML::Strip can often output more than desired; such as with the following HTML: <h1> HTML::Strip </h1> <p> <em> <strong> fast, and brutal </strong> </em> </p> Which gives the following output: " HTML::Strip fast, and brutal " Thus, you may want to post-filter the output of HTML::Strip to remove excess whitespace (for example, using "tr/ / /s;"). (This has been improved since previous releases, but is still an issue) HTML Entities HTML::Strip will only attempt decoding of HTML entities if HTML::Entities is installed. EXPORT None by default. AUTHOR
Alex Bowley <kilinrax@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
perl, HTML::Parser, HTML::Entities perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Strip(3pm)