Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - Propagation of error codes Post 302935822 by jcdole on Thursday 19th of February 2015 10:50:33 AM
Old 02-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea
Code:
    echo "$?"
    CODE_ERR=$? # always 0 --> success but function2 fails

echo is executed successfully, so upon next check with $? it is 0.
You probably want:
Code:
CODE_ERR=$?
echo $CODE_ERROR

hth
It is just one more typo in this thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. AIX

pSeries 610 error codes

I have been given some pSeries AIX servers to maintain. One of the servers wont come up after a shutdown and the following code is showing on the server: 10118401 How do I look up the error code? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ctrl-C signal propagation

Hello I have a master startup script (let's call it myScript) that displays a menu from which the user can start/stop several instances of a server. When I issue the start command for one of the servers from the menu and then exit myScript through the provided mechanism (enter "q" in this case),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EvilBoz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash awk codes to perl

Hi, I am interesting in writing the following bash codes into perl My script is simple take field 2 in /etc/passwd and put into an array #!/bin/bash PASSWD_FILE=/etc/passwd A=(`awk -F: ' { print $2 }' $PASSWD_FILE `) Can someone give me equivalent codes in perl ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phamp008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange SIGINT propagation between Parent/Child sh scripts

Good day, I am trying to add signal handling capabilities to some of my scripts. Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty with the manner in which signals are propagated between parent/child processes. Consider the following example: I have the following "parent" script: #!/usr/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danie.ludick
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'watch' not interpreting escape codes in bash script

Hi there, I'm fairly new to bash scripting and already having some troubles. I'm making a script that can print some series of strings in colors based in the information of a file, for simplicity let's say it only does: #!/bin/bash printf "\eWhen you execute this in the command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arashi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh use of error codes

I want to import the info to shell when the connection to remote host was closed . I have follwed by ssh errors but how to use variables in script. I am thinking out loud the shell script could look as follow: svnvaraible=$ERROR_SSH_CONNECTION_LOST if ; then break fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michal Janusz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script Exit Codes

Here is my daily stupid question: How can I tell a script to only execute if the other scripts exits successfully? So "script A" executes and it executes successfully (0),then "script B" will run or else "script A "executes and it exits unsucessfully (1) then "script B" will read return... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm error codes and logging

Afternoon ladies and gents, I am trying to create a simple script to remove a certain file from a user's network profile location. The removal works ok, but in the interest of overkill I would like to add a simple error detection (such as file doesn't exist or permission denied) Currently, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hateborne
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error Codes for VCS

Do we have common VCS error codes for all platforms. eg. 10195 Agent(s) for group %s failed on system %s for all Linux,Solaris and windows ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
1 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)