Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - Propagation of error codes Post 302935821 by sea on Thursday 19th of February 2015 10:46:42 AM
Old 02-19-2015
Code:
    echo "$?"
    CODE_ERR=$? # always 0 --> success but function2 fails

echo is executed successfully, so upon next check with $? it is 0.
You probably want:
Code:
CODE_ERR=$?
echo $CODE_ERROR

hth

EDIT:
Thanked for the idea of making a function to print out a just created tempfile Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. AIX

pSeries 610 error codes

I have been given some pSeries AIX servers to maintain. One of the servers wont come up after a shutdown and the following code is showing on the server: 10118401 How do I look up the error code? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ctrl-C signal propagation

Hello I have a master startup script (let's call it myScript) that displays a menu from which the user can start/stop several instances of a server. When I issue the start command for one of the servers from the menu and then exit myScript through the provided mechanism (enter "q" in this case),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EvilBoz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash awk codes to perl

Hi, I am interesting in writing the following bash codes into perl My script is simple take field 2 in /etc/passwd and put into an array #!/bin/bash PASSWD_FILE=/etc/passwd A=(`awk -F: ' { print $2 }' $PASSWD_FILE `) Can someone give me equivalent codes in perl ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phamp008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange SIGINT propagation between Parent/Child sh scripts

Good day, I am trying to add signal handling capabilities to some of my scripts. Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty with the manner in which signals are propagated between parent/child processes. Consider the following example: I have the following "parent" script: #!/usr/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danie.ludick
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'watch' not interpreting escape codes in bash script

Hi there, I'm fairly new to bash scripting and already having some troubles. I'm making a script that can print some series of strings in colors based in the information of a file, for simplicity let's say it only does: #!/bin/bash printf "\eWhen you execute this in the command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arashi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh use of error codes

I want to import the info to shell when the connection to remote host was closed . I have follwed by ssh errors but how to use variables in script. I am thinking out loud the shell script could look as follow: svnvaraible=$ERROR_SSH_CONNECTION_LOST if ; then break fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michal Janusz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script Exit Codes

Here is my daily stupid question: How can I tell a script to only execute if the other scripts exits successfully? So "script A" executes and it executes successfully (0),then "script B" will run or else "script A "executes and it exits unsucessfully (1) then "script B" will read return... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm error codes and logging

Afternoon ladies and gents, I am trying to create a simple script to remove a certain file from a user's network profile location. The removal works ok, but in the interest of overkill I would like to add a simple error detection (such as file doesn't exist or permission denied) Currently, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hateborne
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error Codes for VCS

Do we have common VCS error codes for all platforms. eg. 10195 Agent(s) for group %s failed on system %s for all Linux,Solaris and windows ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)