Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Need help with warn messages in sys logs Post 302935652 by System Admin 77 on Wednesday 18th of February 2015 11:23:12 AM
Old 02-18-2015
Thanks for your prompt response.

Code:
#lsattr -El sys0 -a fullcore
fullcore false Enable full CORE dump True

Code:
#ulimit -c

From IBM page, i see that
we need to set following settings on OS

Code:
ulimit -c unlimited         turn on corefiles with unlimited size
ulimit -n unlimited         allows an unlimited number of open file descriptors
ulimit -d unlimited         sets the user data limit to unlimited
ulimit -f unlimited         sets the file limit to unlimited

But we are running JVMs under root user.
can i still set the "corefiles with unlimited size" ?

currently it is 2097151

or is it ok to enable fullcore = true, with out changing the core to unlimited ?

please suggest.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

scripts for rotation and compression of sys logs

As a UNIX newbie, how can I create a (cron)script that rotates my syslogs on AIX 4.3.3 on a 24 hour basis and compresses the old logs ? TIA ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fireblade
1 Replies

2. Linux

sending messages from auditd logs to syslog server

I have the auditd running and I need to send the audit logs to a remote syslog server. Anyideas on how to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmathenge
1 Replies

3. Solaris

pramga warn codes: where I can see all possible?

(I will not duplicate my post that I create in 'Programming' ( My post ), but the issue also (after C ) is related to Sun Solaris.) I need to find the warning-codes to be used in the #pragma warn.. C-code directives to suppress some compilation warnings. More desciptive explanation you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. Programming

#pragma warn codes on Sun Solaris to disable some warns?

I am not able to find warn-codes that should be used in #pragma warn -<code> directive!:wall: Could anybody advise where I can see a list of warnings with codes that (as I understand) should be 3-letters code? I have a pro-C program that produces some warnings. (Do not advise,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lot of warn files filling /

hi guys I have suse 11 sp1 and I have a lot of warn file filling / these are under /var/log there's this big one -rw-r----- 1 root root 3.9G Feb 1 10:28 warn warn: ASCII text and the others that are about 2.5 to 3MB - they are about 130 warn-*.bz2 -rw-r----- 1 root root 3.9G Feb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

7. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Warn Before Executing Particular Command

I'm running CentOS 6.8 and use bash. I would like a warning to appear to the user who runs the command "service httpd restart" E.g. # service httpd restart are you sure y/n n # (or if y, the command executes). I looked into it a little but am not sure of the best approach. Aliases I ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Warn Before Executing Particular Command

I'm running CentOS 6.8 and use bash. I would like a warning to appear to the user who runs the command "service httpd restart" E.g. # service httpd restart are you sure y/n n # (or if y, the command executes). I looked into it a little but am not sure of the best approach. Aliases I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I received a WARN when was configuring GNU make,

When I tried to configure GNU make, I received:... WARNING: Your system has neither waitpid() nor wait3(). Without one of these, signal handling is unreliable You should be aware that running GNU make with -j could result in erratic behavior. ... What is that supposed to mean ? my spec: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
1 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)