Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Devuan debian "Fork"
Operating Systems Linux Debian Devuan debian "Fork" Post 302935408 by fpmurphy on Monday 16th of February 2015 11:53:42 AM
Old 02-16-2015
Initially, the stated goal of System D, i.e. to parallelize startup of Linux system services, was laudable and not very many people objected to that design goal.

Now people are realizing that System D is rapidly expanding to include a huge number of Linux system services, plumbing and more. As a result many userland applications are no longer very portable because of increasing dependencies on System D functionality.

System D's present goal appears to be to standardize a very large swatch of userland functionality. Who knows what their future goals are!
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Programming

fork&pipe "interpretting" shell - problem

hello everybode.Got some sort of "problems" with this stuff; well this is a program int main() { int Pipe; int origStdin, origStdout; int childPID; origStdin = dup(0); origStdout = dup(1); pipe(Pipe); if( (childPID = fork()) < 0 ) { perror(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

7. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
FMT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    FMT(1)

NAME
fmt -- simple text formatter SYNOPSIS
fmt [-Cr] [goal [maximum]] [name ...] fmt [-Cr] [-g goal] [-m maximum] [name ...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter which reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a version of its input with lines as close to the goal length as possible without exceeding the maximum. The goal length defaults to 65 and the maximum to 75. The spacing at the beginning of the input lines is preserved in the output, as are blank lines and interword spac- ing. In non raw mode, lines that look like mail headers or begin with a period are not formatted. -C instructs fmt to center the text. -g goal New way to set the goal length. -m maximum New way to set the maximum length. -r Raw mode; formats all lines and does not make exceptions for lines that start with a period or look like mail headers. fmt is meant to format mail messages prior to sending, but may also be useful for other simple tasks. For instance, within visual mode of the ex(1) editor (e.g., vi(1)) the command !}fmt will reformat a paragraph, evening the lines. SEE ALSO
mail(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The fmt command appeared in 3BSD. BUGS
The program was designed to be simple and fast - for more complex operations, the standard text processors are likely to be more appropriate. BSD
May 29, 2007 BSD