Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unex
The Lounge War Stories Unex Post 302935358 by bakunin on Sunday 15th of February 2015 06:32:52 PM
Old 02-15-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
and I have seen cases where two UNIX systems were described as "unices".
This is because latin nouns ending in "-<vowel>-x" are of the third declension (consonantic) and the nominativus pluralis is "-(i)ces". For instance: "vortex"-> "vortices", "codex" -> "codices", etc..

At least this is the correct plural, whereas one can often see "forae" as a plural of "forum". This wrong because neutral words in the second (o-) declension have the ending "-a" in the nominativus pluralis, therefore "fora".

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

Xacobeo::I18n(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Xacobeo::I18n(3pm)

NAME
Xacobeo::I18n - Utilities for internationalization (i18n). SYNOPSIS
# Initialize the i18n framework (done once) use FindBin; use Xacobeo::I18n; Xacobeo::I18n->init("$FindBin::Bin/../share/locale/"); # Import the i18n utilities (used everywhere where i18n is needed) use Xacobeo::I18n; print __("Hello world"), " "; DESCRIPTION
This package provides utilities that perform i18n. This module relies on gettext. The initialization of the i18n framework should be performed only once, preferably as soon as possible. Once the framework is initialized any module requiring to translate a string can include this module. This module exports automatically the shortcut functions used for translating messages. This is done in order to make the translation transparent. FUNCTIONS
The following functions are available: __ Translates a single string through gettext. Parameters: o $string The string to translate. __x Translates a string that uses place holders for variable substitution. Parameters: o $string The string to translate. o %values A series of key/value pairs that will be replacing the place holders. __n Translates a string in either singular or plural. Parameters: o $singular The string in its singular form (one item). o $plural The string in its plural form (more than one item). o $count The number of items. o %values A series of key/value pairs that will be replacing the place holders. __nx Translates a string in either singular or plural with variable substitution. Parameters: o $singular The string in its singular form (one item). o $plural The string in its plural form (more than one item). o $count The number of items. __xn Same as "__nx". Parameters: o $singular The string in its singular form (one item). o $plural The string in its plural form (more than one item). o $count The number of items. domain Returns the translation domain. init Initializes the i18n framework (gettext). Must be called in the fashion: Xacobeo::I18n->init($folder); Parameters: o $folder The folder where to find the translation files. For instance for the translation /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/xacobeo.mo the folder /usr/share/locale has to be provided. AUTHORS
Emmanuel Rodriguez <potyl@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2008,2009 by Emmanuel Rodriguez. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-16 Xacobeo::I18n(3pm)